Nerf the keys in castle town

My idea is concerning the keys in castle town and the armory. It has gotten to the point that getting any role on castle town is wasted because often times all keys are found in the beginning of the round. Because of this, players naturally know to go grinding for keys, and by this time have memorized every single spot these keys spawn in, or they see them before the round begins, which has resulted in an immediate armory unlock. This poses a LARGE balance offset for the murderer, and can even make the sheriff useless. Please, make the chest contain something else, or make it have a limit on how many zappers it hands out, because a full lobby of sheriffs is a bit much. (this same issue was also apparent on pigment, which was the cubes)

I don’t agree, if anything, we should get XP for retrieving the keys.

4 Likes

I think the keyes should be available to pick up after like 2.5 minutes (2:30)

4 Likes

That is the entire reason why the key locations are random. And also there are so many times when we don’t even find all the keys until either, the game ends, or like 2:30 minutes in to the game.

…
sheriffs have infinite arrows, the armory only gives you a one shot bow.

How, though? The sheriff will never be useless, and I have no idea why you think that. If what made you think that is “with too many people with bows the sheriff would have no use”, then that is completely not true. In fact, it makes the sheriff even more powerful because now it can get TWO arrows instead of one.

By the way, don’t forget to vote on your own posts!

3 Likes

I also don’t agree with you, don’t forget that the game can be very short.

3 Likes

I agree with you cause it would be a very consistent source of xp

4 Likes

maybe certain ones appear at certain times?

2 Likes

As I stated before, rounds can be very short sometimes.

1 Like

I think my problem with the keys is players have become reliant on other players finding the keys, waiting at the gate for a free bow, rather than actually looking. If it becomes anymore prominent then maybe the keys shouldnt be shared between players but rather like Pigment, where players will have to find all 3 random items themselves to unlock the secret.

4 Likes

That makes sense. I agree with you, but if multiple players get too reliant on the gate, that can possibly results in less of a percentage of finding keys.

2 Likes

Well my point is that there are still so many occasions where the keys are found immediately because yes, while they are random, those random spots are always the same random spots, plus they spawn before the round starts, meaning if three people see those three keys before the round starts, the armory is unlocked immediately. And What I mean by the sheriff being essentially useless is the fact that yes, they can have 2 arrows, but so can everyone else if they collect ten coins after getting the armory zapper, even BEFORE they get the one from the armory, and I feel like it makes being any role on that map boring, or just highly unbalanced against the murderer, who can really only do so much. Of course, they can raise the water, but that also doesn’t change a whole lot, and can even place the murderer against their own disadvantage. Castle town has the same issue that got fixed on pigment, and I truly don’t understand why they want this idea implemented so badly, it just makes things unbalanced.

2 Likes

that’s why I am suggesting that it shouldnt be shared keys, it would completely obliterate the mindset of “eh they will find it for me, then I get a free bow”.
Even if they aren’t waiting directly at the gate, it would only be natural for Innocents to hang around and then go to the armoury when it is unlocked to grab the bow immediately, and out of this habit it spurs murderers to camp it as well, which is not healthy for the game overall.

3 Likes

I said I agreed with you. It makes perfect sense

1 Like

my bad, makes for further clarity anyways

2 Likes

yeah but sheriff bow regens.

1 Like

Finding your own keys is a good idea.

2 Likes

There are options for the murderer when all 3 keys are found.

Murderers can lurk outside the room, in anticipation of players walking into the room to claim their bow. At the beginning of the game, players are not likely to have a bow prior to this, so the only threat should be the sheriff.

If you are a murderer and you have identified the location of a remaining key, it might be a good idea to stay close to protect it, and obtain some more kills in the process.

My point is I believe the keys are a good gimmick for the map, and are not as overpowered as you make them to be - this is just my opinion though and I am welcome to more feedback!

NB: As always, this is just my own personal opinion, and is not representative of The Hive, or any official directives from the team.

4 Likes

Thank you for further suggestions on more tactics. I did consider some of these before, only problem being that it can be difficult and your chances of dying are still high if you wait in the room, or even near a key, as that can cause suspicion, but I appreciate the feedback.

3 Likes

This is the bad habits I was mentioning before, a Murderer shouldnt feel compelled to camp out an area.

This entire post is inciting for Murderers to play poorly by camping on the object that they fear or in the location so then the game doesnt get significantly more difficult.

4 Likes

That’s the same point you brought up before. The thing is, it is unlikely the sheriff will see the murderer or even get the chance to do anything before someone else shoots them. I’m mainly going for people like me who like to play out their role, if I’m sheriff, I want a good chance to shoot the murderer, but when everyone else has bows, it makes the murderer more scared than before, or they get killed on the spot. Maybe if the murderer could actually use the chest as well, and get some sort of upgrade or advantage, it would be fine, but that’s the other thing. The murderer gets NOTHING out of it, which yeah, I get that they can’t pick up the keys so why should they? Well it’s basically 1 against 15 if everyone stays in that round. I am diving in to every possibility to happen as well, a lot of which have happened to me multiple times, so it’s definitely not rare, and it’s quite infuriating.

1 Like