Epic and super coins discussion (Murder Mystery)

:coin: Epic and super coins discussion (Murder Mystery) :coin:

With yesterday’s Murder Mystery update, The Hive added new coins: Epic and super coins. Blue coins grant three coins and purple coins six coins when collected. Some players love this change, while others find it too difficult to be the murderer now. The Hive wants to do in-game surveys soon to get players’ opinions about the update, but I think it’s important to go into several aspects of the coins and have a civil discussion.

This post isn’t really a suggestion per se, but the best way for us as a community to find a good solution is to develop one together. I ask you to answer the questions honestly and what YOU think about the coins.

:+1: Are the coins good or not? :-1:

The first question is whether you like the coins and would leave them as they are, or if you don’t like them and would change them. You have 2 options here. You can also leave your general opinion in the number rating poll!

Please click here to vote.

What do YOU think about the new epic and super coins?
  • I like the new coins and don’t think any changes are needed.
  • I think changes to the coin concept are needed.
0 voters

What score would you give the current coins overall?
0 voters

:warning: Please read! :warning:

The following section is for those who voted “I think changes are needed to the coin concept.” Please ignore it if you voted the other option.

In this section I want to know why you don’t like the coins and what you would change about them. As already mentioned, this section is only for those who voted “I think changes are needed to the coin concept.” Please don’t vote here, if you voted “I like the new coins and don’t think any changes are needed.”.

:question: Why do you think the coins are not good? :question:

This question is related to the reason why you don't like the new epic and super coins. You have the 2 most frequently mentioned options to choose from, but you can also choose "Other" and explain your reason in a comment.

Why don’t you like the new coins?
  • The coins make it harder to be the murderer, as you get the bow too quickly as an Innocent.
  • The coins have no value and do not fit into the game.
  • Other (comment why)
0 voters

:bulb: What would you change? :bulb:

What change would you implement to change your mind about the coins (see previous poll). You have 3 of the most frequently mentioned options available, but you can write further ideas in a reply.

If you could change something about the coins, what would you do?
  • I would change the value of the coins (e.g. blue coins 3 → 2 coins each). - If voted, please comment the value you would give them
  • I would only let the coins spawn into the game after a certain amount of time (e.g. after 60 seconds).
  • I would completely remove the coins from the game.
  • Other (comment your idea)
0 voters

Thank you for reading, I look forward to reading through your replies and ideas! :blobheart:

7 Likes

In my opinion, the coins don’t need a change. You get a lot more XP now which I think was needed in Murder-Mystery.

Of course, there could be done a lot more with those new coins. (I will add some things later if I have time)

2 Likes

The main problem with Murder Mystery was always the low amount of xp you get from coins and it just became boring to grind really.

I personally don’t see a reason why this needs to be changed as it’s a lot more fun grinding and getting the super and epic coins before someone else does.

For the murder having it harder concerns, if you just annihilate the game quickly, it’s not really that hard. And it also makes the game a bit more challenging but overall it’s more fun being the murderer.

If anything, I would say it would be a good idea to increase the bow and arrow cost to at least 15 coins.

6 Likes

I have a lot if mixed feelings about this update, a lot of “Cool they added A, but now B is siffering for it”, in this case it woild be murderer.

I dont actually want to see the coins nerfed (hence why I voted other on what I think should be changed). Perhaps rather the way to go with making a change is to rather, increase the required number of coins to get a free zapper, this way players will still need time to defend themselves.

As at this current moment, there is a lot turbulence on this subject. For variable reasons such as faster coin gain; said by an all time player in fact on Discord, stated that they habe become more lethal ingame as they can get a bow faster.

Of course there are other factors like a lot of feeling around on the new maps, armour ~which I still think should be completely abolished~. But maybe the only thing needed to be fixed is an increase in the cost of the one shot zapper to counteract the faster coin gain

I’d change the values from 3-6 to 3-5

I honestly don’t think they need to change. Prior to the update you could only get about 50(ish)XP per game as an innocent, and that’s if you put enough effort in.

:arrow_up: To put this into perspective, lets take the two games with max levels of 100, Treasure Wars and Murder Mystery (TW & MM).
Treasure Wars, to me (please be open minded) is almost a joke to grind. For fairly good players, they’re going to be racking in 5 XP per kill, and that’s not even where they get most of it from. Treasure breaks give you 50. XP. For me (TW Level 96) I would say I get 3-5 treasure breaks per game on average, and a win gets you and additional 50XP. That means I was averaging anywhere from 120XP to 170XP and sometimes 200XP per game, as a rough estimate.
Also, TW XP caps at Level 52. (For anyone who doesn’t know, you have to get more XP to level up from level 3 to level 4 than you need to level up from level 2 to level 3. The amount of XP to level up from level 52 to level 53 is the same (the maximum amount) all the way to TW Level 100.

Murder Mystery collecting a coin gives you 2 XP per coin. (3 XP if you have Hive+ I think?) That’s really unfortunate because as an innocent player, coins are your main source of XP. Each game you’re really going to only be getting 10 coins on average, so 20XP to 30XP on coins alone. That might seem like a lot, but anyone who’s played MM for a long time knows the levels really crawl by. If you’re aim is good, you’re going to get 30XP for killing the Murderer, but even as a Level 97 MM player, you rarely succeed with that. Sure there’s a system for getting 5XP every 30 seconds you survive, and although it’s a nice system, this game was designed to be fast paced. Your main source of XP is still going to be coins.
Murder Mystery XP caps at LEVEL 82. Basically that means you can level up once every six or seven hours (and thats with the extra XP boost with Hive+). It can get really grindy sometimes.

I think the implementation of these new coins is somewhat of a blessing, 1). because you do get a little more XP per game that pre-update, 2). with players getting bows quicker you really do notice the games moving by much faster. So personally I do think it’s a nice change.
Playing this game for a long time I can certainly see both sides to this discussion, I tried to explain my reason for being in favor for these coins here, no offense intended to the creator of this post or anyone else really. Murder Mystery has been my favorite game on the Hive for the three years I’ve been playing, no hate to the creators of the game either.
(I didn’t even get into the XP coin cap lol)

I personally agree with all of these things. Further, because so many people are playing mm now, you become murderer and sheriff a lot faster. So you get more opportunities. Also it’s a really awesome feeling to find a rare coin XD

As for the coin XP cap, the Hive is a little stingy on that. I’m a level 43, and yes it takes a long time to level up, and with the new coins and bigger maps, i can hit that cap a lot more often. It’d be nice to have a 50 or 60 XP coin cap, considering how hard the game is to grind, especially considering some people will be grinding out five hundred levels :sweat_smile:

For the murderer’s sake, yeah it’s a lot harder to win, but the murderer is also able to get XP to get invisibility potion-things and speed, so what really changes here is the technique on how to kill people.

1 Like

I think Epic and Super Coins should be very rare at the beginning of a game and become gradually more common as the game goes on. This would encourage the murderer to try to get kills faster, and reward the innocents who survive longer periods of time.

I would also like to see the coin XP cap raised.

1 Like

What about epic/blue coins being able to spawn after 30 seconds (at 4:30) and super/coins after 60 seconds (at 4:00)? :thinking:

Most players like the coins because they make it easier to level up and obviously adding this change would make it harder to gain experience again. What if the xp value of epic/super coins was changed as well (to give more xp than they curently do) to equalize the gameplay change? ^^

1 Like

I dont see how this makes coin collection harder again, as the coin cap is at 30xp until otherwise changed, all it does is give the game more length as once the super coins come out, then anyone remaining who didnt have a bow will now have bows.

This is a good idea but for the reason that it gives the Murderer breathing space before all hell breaks loose. Of course the murderer can still be shot within the first minute but it will be less likely. If the game goes past the 1 minute marker then coin collection further ramps up and increases pressure with less players.

In fact this makes the xp collection less RNG and more skillbased as now you would have to stay alive for the first minute, rather than hoping for a super coin in the first 10 seconds.

I personally am fine with the blue coins spawning in whenever, but maybe limit the purples to after a minute into the game so that innos dont get bows randomly within the first 5 seconds due to good rng

1 Like

I do believe that the spawn rates need adjusting, I’ll be making both coins slightly rarer in an upcoming update, with the super coin increasing more.

Additionally, we’ll be increasing the amount of coins that grant you XP from 30 to 40 on a trial basis, to help balance levelling.

6 Likes

Personally, I’m half and half on this change. I just feel weird playing murder mystery after the update…
It feels weird because they’re changing some of the gameplay a little (get bow faster, prestige, extra arrows, and in general, faster pace.) Sure for some people it may seem minor and if I’m being quite honest, I feel biased when talking about it. I don’t mind the extra arrows thing, but combined with the coins you can easily beat the murderer. What about the murderer?

I also feel like they should release different modes of certain games like they’ve done to skywars. For example, Murder Mystery: Classic; Murder Mystery: Upgraded(or something); Murder Mystery: Puzzle(referring to Trouble in Minevillle/a more advanced MM, which would be fun and require brains).

I don’t know, I think I’m pushing my thoughts too much by commenting… I just feel weird about the entire update

1 Like

Upcoming changes should make things a little fairer for the murderer. Getting bows much faster can make it a little too challenging for them.

Special coins will not spawn in the game during the first 60 seconds, we will see how that feels and continue to tweak.

8 Likes

I personally don’t think that the coins need changing.

They make getting xp easier, which is especially good because of the new prestiges.

And it’s also very satisfying getting a super coin and seeing yourself getting 6 more regular coins, it’s much more interesting than only having the regular ones.

@Tommeedoi gameplay should always have priority over experience. They can always adjust the xp system if needed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also as stated above, they won’t be completely removed, but will spawn less frequently.

:coin: Epic and super coins discussion Part II (Murder Mystery) :coin:

What do YOU think about the coins after the most recent update?
  • I like the new coins and don’t think any changes are needed.
  • I think changes to the coin concept are needed.
0 voters
What score would you give the current coins overall?
0 voters

If you have any balance change ideas, feel free to post them below. The previous polls have been closed as they are no longer up to date. :wink:

3 Likes

For some reason I had a dream about having a red coin in game that gives 4 coins I think I need to play less of the new update lol

2 Likes

I don’t mind the coins although being murderer now is much harder, I think not letting the special coins spawn until later into the game is a good idea, but what I would like to see is to be able to go on and collect more coins to get another arrow. If I miss with my arrow I feel like I’m playing pointlessly from that point on, perhaps then to try to stay alive while maybe collecting a further 15 coins to get another arrow would give me further purpose…

I don’t mind the coins although being murderer now is much harder

but what I would like to see is to be able to go on and collect more coins to get another arrow

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, but my concern is these statements seem pretty contradictory. I fear allowing you to get another arrow is going to make it even harder for the murderer.

2 Likes