Prevent Ban Evasion by implementing IP banning,

Hello there!
I would like to shed some light on this topic,
IP banning in the era of dynamic IPs is not the most efficient way . A person can easily get a new IP address by just restarting his/her router which makes the whole point of IP banning completely irrelevant.

The best way currently is to improve the anti-cheat system , which the team is working really hard on improving it. But until then please try to bear with us :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I also think that bans that are like prison time, have a message that discourages banning. Not just a plain you have been banned for Hacking, ?? months.

Thanks for the valuable information, WozzieE!
However, the mechanism to disallow ban evasion doesn’t just rely on IP banning, it also utilize MAC address banning (MAC address is unique to each device, hence, if a MAC address is banned then that device can’t access the server). Of course, to effectively ban cheaters and ban-evaders, the staff team has to incorporate double verification on network adress (IP) and device address (MAC). I hope that helps somehow!

3 Likes

I see but,
MAC address can also be easily changed. Yes it is a unique code but it can be changed by going to one of the setting in your PC . Banning a hacker with the MAC address would be similar to banning him with IP. Currently it’s almost never changed because there is almost never a reason to, but if you could determine and ban a hacker by MAC, he could simply change it. An IP addresses must be globally recognized in order to be routable, but a MAC doesn’t have this issue.
And obtaining the MAC address in itself is unethical to do ,i believe , as it does contain very sensitive information about the user and his device.

4 Likes

I feel now this is more of a ‘justice served’ issue. Because to be honest, hackers aren’t too prevalent on the Hive as they used to be. I’ve seen hackers kicked from the game so many times. Once someone was using killaura on me and was kicked before they even killed me on skywars. Of course there is always a way around a ban but in the end the hive cant do much but continue their anti-cheat improvements which so far have been really great.

1 Like

Just to clarify a few points:

• MAC address is impossible to change. MAC address is assigned to the hardware or your computer, therefore, unless you install MAC spoofing software, which spoof and not change the address, the MAC address remain the same.
  • There is no setting in any PC that allow you to change MAC address.
  • Banning a hacket with the MAC adress is inherently different to IP banning since MAC and IP are theoretically two different identifying system.

When I suggest access-blocking, I proposed serveral ways that The Hive Network can implement to accommodate such process; IP and MAC address banning are such ways. It is worth remembering that Xbox Live already implement MAC address banning, and Hive already collect user datas like device information, username, IPs.
Hope that helps!

2 Likes

I know about that but i would recommend you to do some research about this as it seems to be a difficult to ban a hardware. I don’t know if this helps but

https://i.imgur.com/RHpqQRI.png

And as far as xbox MAC address bans are concerned

https://i.imgur.com/UbzM25X.png

It just seems that MAC address banning won’t really help but if you believe so i give you the heads up.

1 Like

That’s hardware banning, many companies have tried utilizing it but failed due to the fact that it’s more ineffective than IP

This is somewhat of a side question – but to clarify, is there nothing Microsoft side etc. that would disallow servers from implementing IP bans on principle?

5 Likes

Since apparently none of you can keep this conversation civil, this thread will be locked for now but you’re welcome to continue leaving your votes if you so choose. I’ll consider unlocking this thread in a little while when you’ve all had a chance to chill but if that happens I expect everyone to behave. If you have feedback, be constructive with it. There’s also no need to be rude, toxic or aggressive if someone disagrees.

From a personal viewpoint, it would also be good for you guys to consider that this is something that works in theory and not necessarily in practice. If people are playing on alts, we have ways of dealing with that outside of just banning IPs. Users could easily avoid that with VPNs and it can be detrimental to others using the same IP.

15 Likes