PBMM for deathrun

(NOTE: I did search for similar topics, but I found no matches, so apologies if this is a duplicate suggestion)

Deathrun should have platform based matchmaking (PBMM) as it is hugely disadvantaged towards mobile players (like me).
The way it is disadvantaged comes down to the leap ability. While win10/ console players can jump and then leap by clicking their ‘use’ button to completely clear a trap, mobile players have to hold down to ‘use’ the leap feather, so when we try to jump + leap, we land before the leap activates, giving us no extra distance boost. this means that players on other platforms can completely clear activated traps, while mobile players have to either A) wait for the trap to become safe, B) die, or C) risk leaping over it. This allows other players to get way further ahead and finish before mobile players are even half way.
If PBMM came into effect, there wouldn’t be any players finishing while mobile players are half way, and no one would be hugely disadvantaged.
Another way to balance this would be to either lengthen or shorten the traps so either mobile players would be able to clear them or no one would be able to clear them, respectively. however , other platform players would still be able to get further ahead anyway and it would (probably) be a pain to edit all the maps, which is why I think that PBMM would be better for DeathRun.

Mobile players actually can use leaps midair. By having your pointer finger ready above the screen, you’ll be able to leap midair by holding down with the pointer finger to start, then jump quickly after. If you get the timing right, you’ll be able to leap midair.

5 Likes

while that does work, it’s very inconvenient and it hurts my fingers lol, but thanks for the tip nonetheless. However, i still feel like PBMM is necessary.

Hey! While I see games like treasure wars and sky wars needing matchmaking due to different control mechanics making pvp harder, deathrun is a pretty easy game for all platforms and there is no to little difference with the leap mechanic (you have to hold on mobile). So if it is inconvenient, matchmaking is really unnecessary, while i have seen many good mobile deathrun players.

You can’t do certain leaps on mobile. For example, last leap on School and 2nd leap on Cave. This makes speedrunning on mobile hard.

To balance the game for mobile players, maybe Hive should make it so you don’t need to hold to leap (you only need to simply click).
See this suggestion > Leap button for mobile

4 Likes

You can try swapping jump and sneak, and jumping by simply sliding down your thumb while sprinting. That way you’re right thumb can be free to use the leap.

3 Likes