New game: The Layers

I have been spending A LOT of time trying to think of an entirely unique PvP-based minigame that hasn’t been done at all during Minecraft’s history. My idea for Shulker Wars got a lot of votes, but it wasn’t an entirely new concept as it has already been done before on a Java edition server. What I want is a PvP-game concept that has never been done. Thus, I’m creating this topic! What is this game you ask? Let me just call it “The Layers!”

What is The Layers?

This is basically a game where you spawn inside a cave-like area with a stone sword, a dyed leather helmet representing your team color, and an iron pickaxe. You can mine ores to get special loot, loot chests spawned around the map, and find these rare crates that contain the best loot in the game. We will get into the loot later. There are 8 teams (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Magenta, Gold, Aqua, and Gray) with 3 people on each team. After 1 minute of preparation, there will be little tunnels that lead you to another layer. Lava will start rising in the layer that you are in, so you and your team will have to make an escape to move onto the next layer. PvP is now enabled and teams who find each other will have to fight. If you die, you will drop a lootable gravestone that contains the player’s items, just like in SG. In this next layer, there are better ores, chests contain better loot, and those mysterious crates spawn more often. After 2 minutes, another set of tunnels is opened that leads you to the next layer. Lava starts rising again, but twice as fast and you need to make a quick escape. This is where things start to get tricky. There are no more chests or mysterious crates, but ores are still there. Infact, the best ores are scattered around. Areas are now more opened. You can find players more easily. Fights become more intense and its important to stick with your teammates (If they’re still alive). After another 2 minutes, another set of tunnels are opened, and lava starts rising again. This time, its very quick. However, the tunnels are very short. You are then lead to the final layer where there are no more ores and the remaining players have to fight. The last team standing wins and the game ends. Now, let’s get into the loot…

What loot can you find

This is where we talk about what loot you can find in various ores, chests, and “Mysterious Crates”

Iron Ore (Common)

Lootset
  • Iron Sword
  • A random piece of Iron Armor

Gold Ore (Common)

Lootset
  • 2-3 Cobwebs
  • 1-2 Golden Apples
  • Random Piece of Golden Armor
  • Spell of Mining (Rare) (Gives you haste for 10 seconds)
  • Spell of Swiftness (Rare)
  • Block-breaking Boombox (Rare)

Diamond Ore (Rare)

Lootset
  • Diamond Sword
  • Random piece of Diamond Armor

Emerald Ore (Rare)

Lootset
  • Random piece of enchanted gear

Redstone Ore (Rare)

Effects
  • 1 level of Health Boost
  • Instant Health

Lapis Ore (Common)

Effects
  • Random positive effect (20 seconds)

Chest (Common)

Lootset
  • Iron Sword
  • Chainmail Armor
  • Iron Armor (Rare)
  • 1-2 Cobwebs

Mysterious Crate (Rare)

Lootset
  • Diamond Sword
  • Diamond Armor (Rare)
  • Iron Armor
  • Enchanted Iron Armor
  • Enchanted Diamond Sword (Rare)
  • 3-4 Cobwebs
  • Block-breaking Boombox
  • 2-3 Golden Apples
  • Spell of Mining
  • Spell of Swiftness

So, yeah. Those are the items you can find in this game. What might the rewards be? Let’s find out…

What will the rewards be?

This is where we talk about what the rewards will be for leveling up in this game! Thinking of rewards was really hard since I don’t really know what would fit best, so these are the rewards you can get!

Hub Titles

Rewards
  • Level 2: The Miner
  • Level 6: The Caveman
  • Level 10: The Crate Destroyer
  • Level 14: The Bomber
  • Level 18: The Webmaster
  • Level 22: The Diamond-plated
  • Level 26: Super Lucky!
  • Level 30: The Lava-lover
  • Level 34: The Tunnel Warrior
  • Level 38: The Tunnel Master

Rewards
  • Level 3: Miner’s Hat
  • Level 7: Cobweb
  • Level 11: Burning Alive
  • Level 15: Shiny Pickaxe
  • Level 19: Mysterious Crate
  • Level 23: What’s inside here?? (Guy looting a chest)
  • Level 27: Sticky Situation (Guy trapped in a cobweb)
  • Level 31: Shiny Diamond
  • Level 35: Miner Duel
  • Level 39: Crossed Shiny Pickaxes

Kill Phrases

Rewards
  • Level 1: Player killed player
  • Level 2: Player stabbed player
  • Level 4: Player stunned player
  • Level 6: Player KO’ed player
  • Level 8: Player roasted player
  • Level 10: Player was cruel to player
  • Level 12: Player double-crossed player
  • Level 14: Player tossed player into lava
  • Level 16: Player took away player’s oxegene
  • Level 18: Player gave player the gift of death
  • Level 20: Player slashed player
  • Level 22: Player damaged player’s KDR
  • Level 24: Player blew up player
  • Level 26: Player cracked player
  • Level 28: Player shut down player
  • Level 30: Player turned player into dust
  • Level 32: Player magically made player disappear
  • Level 34: Player made player croak
  • Level 36: Player cleaned up the presence of player
  • Level 38: Player gave player the cold shoulder

Gravestones

Rewards
  • Level 1: Basic gravestone
  • Level 3: Burnt gravestone
  • Level 5: Crystalized gravestone
  • Level 7: Magma gravestone
  • Level 9: Golden gravestone
  • Level 11: Platinum gravestone
  • Level 13: Boney gravestone
  • Level 15: Candle gravestone
  • Level 17: Bubbly gravestone
  • Level 19: Portal gravestone
  • Level 21: Futuristic gravestone
  • Level 23: Run-down gravestone
  • Level 25: Lightning gravestone
  • Level 27: Heart gravestone
  • Level 29: Ice gravestone
  • Level 31: Shell gravestone
  • Level 33: Toilet gravestone
  • Level 35: Trashcan gravestone
  • Level 37: Slimey gravestone
  • Level 39: Crown gravestone

Death Particles

Rewards
  • Level 5: Angry
  • Level 10: Hearts
  • Level 15: Green Sparkles
  • Level 20: Poof
  • Level 25: Portal
  • Level 30: Explosion
  • Level 35: Flames
  • Level 39: Soul Flames

Special Costume

Reward
  • Level 40: Ore Miner

Conclusion

I think this would be a great game to add to The Hive. Especially since nothing like it has been done on other servers before! This may seem a little similar to SkyWars with the ore system, but I still think this is a fun and unique PvP-based game that I think will do really well on The Hive! Anyways, what do you guys think?

• I love this idea!
  • This idea is okay.
  • Ehh… I don’t know
  • I don’t like this idea…

0 voters

I think I understand this so you have my vote

1 Like

No offense, but this just sounds like skywars with extra steps. With the unlocks you listed, you earn WAY to many avatars and hubtitles than what is normally given and there are just a few too many gravestones, however, it is original so ill see what others suggest before voting

4 Likes

Your kind of right

1 Like

As I said, I know this is going to be compared with SkyWars a lot. However, the meta and playstyle is quite different here. You do a lot more mining and running from a lava flood. As for the cosmetics, I thought of as much as I could. Probably not all of them will be implemented, but I still think they would be nice to have. When SkyWars was first released on Java, it was often referred to as SG but in the sky. If you look at the two games now, they are actually pretty different in terms of meta and gameplay. In Hive’s version of SkyWars, ores aren’t that much of a necessity. Here, you definitely need to do a lot of mining as you spawn in a cave.

but its basically skywars where your forced to go to mid? (and obvuiously its not in the sky)

2 Likes

It’s a really detailed suggestion. :0

3 Likes

But there isn’t a need to go to mid in this game. Mysterious crates are rare, but they spawn throughout the map. Most loot you find isn’t even at the center of the map. Also, unlike SkyWars, you don’t need to build. Most of what you do in this game is mining. Hence the name, “The Layers” And again, you could say SkyWars is SG but in the sky like you said The Layers is SkyWars but in a cave. When really, the meta and gameplay is far different.

1 Like

but didnt u say lava pushes you to the top (the mid)??

1 Like

Umm… the top is the top, not the mid. And yes, lava does push you up towards the top.

1 Like

but if all tunnels lead to ‘the top’ eventually then isnt it the middle of the map?

2 Likes

No, the middle would be the second or third layer. The top layer is the top layer.

1 Like

okay, so even if this somehow isnt skywars but underground and you cant make any desicions, how do you counter people digging down at the start, blocking it off so lava cant get them, and ppl cant get back to them because of the lava?

1 Like

Maybe put bedrock at the bottom of each map so people won’t be able to dig down that far. Look, I get that this is similar to SkyWars in many ways, but the meta and gameplay is different. Most of what you do in SkyWars is bridging and looting chests with some PvP. While in this, you do a lot of mining and escaping from lava with PvP taking place sometimes.

1 Like

that feels likeit could be used for traps

1 Like

Then how about a play-height limit? It could stop players from trying to camp underground.

1 Like

that could work. this could be a great idea if skywars wasnt how it was. because your just carrying features over from other modes and throwing in lava to ‘spice things up’ it might as well just be another Skywars gamemode, not a whole other npc.

1 Like

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. SkyWars isn’t entirely about mining ores. You do more bridging and looting chests. In here, most of what you do is mining. If you are saying this could just be another SkyWars mode instead of its own NPC, then we might as well make SkyWars a SG mode instead of giving it its own NPC. You are comparing two different metas and playstyles and saying they’re basically the same.

1 Like

yh fair enough, ill see what some others think of it

1 Like

I quite like the idea of this. Have my vote!

1 Like