New CTF mode: Quick Rounds

Idea: Quick Round mode in Capture the Flag
A new mode in CTF with multiple ways to make rounds significantly shorter and more fitting with Hive’s fast-paced theme.

More Information:

• Winning team is chosen by best of three captures1

• Coin income is x2 (or prices are 50%)

• Maps are about 50% smaller2

• Teams are 3 vs. 3 (to shorten lobby wait times)

There’s probably many other possibilities, but that’s all I could think of at the moment lol. I’d love to hear some more ideas from everyone!

Stuff from Alf
  • 5 minute games
  • Faster respawn on by default
  • Income upgrade
  • No block upgrade or absorption
Other stuff

1Best of three means you (basically) only need two captures to win. Ever played best of three Rock Paper Scissors?

2Scaled-down versions of the existing CTF maps.

I don’t think you should be able to capture even without your flag at your base (to prevent flag stalling) as that would make it very similar to Bridge.

This could also work as CTF Trios, in the same manner as SW, TW, etc.

I’d be perfectly happy having this as an LTM to test it, as I think a lot of CTF players would much prefer this to the normal gamemode.

-RandomSheep2530

I’m relatively new here, so could someone tell me how to bump a post? :sweat_smile:

edit: okay then I guess that’s how lol

9 Likes

I like the idea, but what do you mean by “best of three captures”? It does sound like a good idea, so ill vote.

4 Likes

Bump

As I understand it, this would mean that you only need 2 captures to win.

1 Like

Exactly right; first to two, basically.

edit (like 2 or 3 months later omg) wait no not first to two derp sheep moment

5 Likes

When you say the maps would be about 50% smaller, do you mean there would be a bunch of new maps of smaller size or somehow smaller variations of the current maps?

It would take a lot of effort from the build team to do either of these so you may want to change the suggestion to have the maps be the same.

Dang, the like ratio stings

2 Likes

Its literally thier paid job to build maps, dont rule out something because it requires effort.

9 Likes

Although true, there’s also the matter of whether or not Hive would be willing to pay for so many new maps. They certainly could but they might not.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really seem like a necessity for this gamemode to have new maps, though. There are still other factors that will keep the games quick.

The build team’s effort could be diverted to other games that would benefit more from new maps. I’m not saying they shouldn’t work at all.

2 Likes
  1. The maps would be smaller variations of normal maps.
  2. The purpose of the maps being smaller is that players don’t have as much ground to cross to get to the other side/get their flag back when both teams have the other flag.
3 Likes

I like the idea of a more fast-paced version of capture the flag, as I am aware some players disapprove of how lengthy games can get - especially with stalling of the flag. Your suggestions for the gamemode seem feasible, however, would there be any features in place to attempt to halt stalling of the flag other than flag curses?

This is simply my personal opinion, and is in no way a official directive given by the hive! :smile:

8 Likes

Unfortunately, I couldn’t come up with anything to prevent that. If you have any ideas though, I’d be glad to hear them!

1 Like

Could make it so your flag doesn’t have to be at base to return it, then again that would make it like bridge.

1 Like

An idea for this would be to add more teleporters, although to be honest, I think that a few maps are already pretty fast, such as Unearth, Lago, and Empire, which are all very fast rush maps (I know a lot of map information since I used to grind CTF with some leaderboard players) because of their relatively close teleporters (like Empire) or just generally are smaller maps (like Unearth). That being said, I do like the idea of a smaller maps, with more fast paced action overall.

1 Like

As a CTF Sweat, can confirm empire is very quick already.

5 Likes

I like the idea, but capture the flag is already kinda broken so it probably wouldn’t be very fun.

If The Hive can fix the spawn killing and team unbalancing then I will say that this should be added, but until then I don’t want it.

5 Likes

I’ve only been max level in CTF for a few months, but can confirm that some maps are just really fast to rush. I played Lago today and I clocked the enemy team making it to our base in just over 30 seconds, so I can agree that Lago is a rush map. Unearth also can be seen as another example, due to how small it is and the jump pads.

5 Likes

What if the game time was shorter overall, so maybe make it 5 minutes. You could also have smaller stuff, like faster respawn, instant eat berries, teleporting with the flag (maybe that might be too far), Removal of block upgrade and absorption, instead have tnt upgrade and income upgrade (to make fights and attacks on defence easier and faster) have a sharpness upgrade too maybe idk, could also replace bows with crossbows with quick charge 1 (maybe a bit far but its to help with bow spamming while also making some things a little faster)

3 Likes
  1. bumpity bompity boom
  2. 5 minutes might be too short but idk
  3. faster respawn YES idk about instant berries tho, that might be a bit op lol
  4. yes to all the upgrades (and income upgrade might be cool for normal ctf too lol)
  5. a lot of people are used to normal bows and would immediately rage quit bc they dont like crossbows lol.
7 Likes

Only problem with 5 minute matches is I’ve noticed nowadays CTF is crippled with cheaters, making sweats like me the only thing keeping the game going, and the game takes all 15 minutes, which to be honest is kinda fun.

2 Likes