Just Build - Build vs Build vote suggestion

The way we used blocks placed to choose who went against who was so that competiting builds were of similar calibre. The way we used it to choose between ties is subject to change. On the one hand, the person who placed less blocks managed to make a very good build with less blocks, whereas the one who placed more put more effort into it.

2 Likes

My only issue is the tiebreaking system. I think the latter approach definitely couldn’t work, it’s just “whoever can click faster wins”. The former could work, but I think you should focus on preventing ties rather than breaking them.

Like maybe instead of just being able to vote “(A) is better than (B)”, you could have a few options, like “(A) is a slightly better than (B), (A) is moderately better than (B) and (A) is much better than (B)”. I just though of this idea on the spot, it probably has a lot of flaws and you guys could probably come up with something better, but I still think that making it so ties rarely happen is the way to go

EDIT: I feel like I did a poor job of explaining why I despise the concept of blocks placed dictating who wins and loses, and why I think ties should be random, but occur very rarely.

Everyone is better at building different things, some people are better at building small, detailed minimalist designs and some people are better at building massive, titanic statues. Some people are better at building pixel art, and some people are better at building landscapes, it doesn’t mean one is better than the other, they’re different and if you make it so that people have a better chance at winning if they build a certain way (even if it’s incredibly small) then people will tend to build things that aren’t as good, and things that the builders wouldn’t enjoy as much as they would otherwise.

Hypothetically if ties happened in 1/100 battles and it was random, people would very rarely lose to RNG, and if it did happen, then the loser would shake their fist, go “darn” and then forget about it and go back to the game, where a tie probably wouldn’t happen again for a long time. If it was based on amount of blocks placed, people would still feel compelled to build a certain way, even if there was only a 1/100 chance it wouldn’t matter, it’s just how the human brain works.

I hope this made sense and got my point across

4 Likes

Oh yeah, my bad. The way the diagram was drawn confused me. That said, my previous point still stands. Pitting what should be the two “best” builds against each other in the first round means that the loser of round one doesn’t get as far as they should have based on the quality of their build. Does that make sense?

That’s how it sometimes works in bracket tournaments. The two best players get pitted against each other and only one comes out on top; it’s luck of the draw. That said, I’ll discuss with Luca other possible ways of matching builds up, any ideas would be welcome :)

1 Like

Huge bump, this would make me want to play just build

2 Likes

this is the best just build suggestion i have heard in so long…

1 Like

Sorry Bump, but this is a really good idea.

Bump

The current voting system is hard to level up on, and something like this would make the game more enjoyable

1 Like

I was gonna say something similar to this
If you build something worthy of top 3, and you go against someone who built something worthy of first, instead of getting top 3, you get placed at the bottom, and you get less xp

A lot of the time what makes you lose too, other than Meh voters, is crossteamers. People in large partys, or even a few in a party. Whether it’s solos or duos, they’ll vote Love for each others builds, and they end up winning or in top 3. Even if they don’t vote Meh for you and do Good instead, they still win. I see this all of the time, and it’s pretty obvious too most of the time. It’s mostly builds that aren’t even related to the topic too. So this would be at play in your idea, and it might be even worse. Because everyones builds would just be knocked out, while their builds progress and win. It may be even less xp. I love this idea though, but I also like Just Build how it is too. So maybe a separate game mode? What would really help is disabling partys for solos and partys over 2 for duos. If people want to play with their friends, they can use a custom server.

Bump!

This is my first post, so if I’m doing anything wrong, let me know. (This is gonna be a really long post so bear with me…)

Anyway, voted for this topic (yay, 100 votes!) because this issue is probably what needs the most attention for Just Build and is what is most keeping it from reaching its potential. I think this solution is great and it’s almost certainly better than the current system. It even reduces the voting time. That being said…

It does (unfortunately) come with its own problems, the most glaring of which is (as MoldyOstrich569 and Ocinnh mentioned) that you could be harshly penalized for building something worthy of a top 3 placement by being put up against a slightly better build and lose right away. But it also introduces another (smaller) flaw, which is that the ‘losing’ builds, (basically, the builds that get 4th place or lower) can’t be ranked by how good they are (I’m not even sure they even are in the first place) since these votes are only relative comparisons and not direct votes. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a bad idea. Not at all. But I’ve compiled a list of solutions to addressing the Just Build voting system and I’ll rank each of them from worst to best and the pros and cons of each (again, this is in my opinion, but I’ve put a lot of time into thinking it through):

1. Limiting meh votes/kicking meh voters/other restrictions or punishments for low voting

Pros - It encourages people to vote higher ratings and limits the number of low/unfair votes they can give out.

Cons - May prompt players to vote a bad build unfairly high, players might ‘run out’ of meh votes for later builds shown, easy to get around, not strictly against Hive rules, and in general, there could just be a lot of bad builds.

1. Reward system for voting high ratings

Pros - Will encourage higher votes and reduce ‘meh’ spamming, and possibly more balanced (and not skewed) votes.

Cons - Potentially broken (‘love’ spam may become an issue), may make players feel like voting bad and even inappropriate builds high, and would penalize harsher voters or people who have higher standards.

1. Keeping it as it is

Pros - Players can freely choose what they want to vote and it’s essentially a ‘democratic’ voting system where you give your own opinions and criticisms.

Cons - I think you know…

1. Judges or chosen voters

Pros - People judging may be less biased (and perhaps more experienced) in giving a bad vote, and even if they do it to everyone, it won’t affect the outcome, especially with multiple judges.

Cons - Experienced builders may not be available on every server, judges would not be able to play, and the unfairness aspect is still possible with voting bad/friends’ builds high, good builds low, etc.

1. Ranked builds, #1 – 12

Pros - Helps organize the builds into a smoother transition from positions 1 - 12 instead of a basic 1 to 5 voting system which can be very skewed. Also essentially removes the ‘meh’ spamming issue.

Cons - Voting bad builds high and good builds low can still happen and it’s hard to rank inappropriate builds (perhaps you can disqualify them).

1. This suggestion

Pros - Already mentioned.

Cons - Already mentioned.

1. Dual/Simultaneous games

Pros - Removes the incentive to beat your competitors and therefore ‘meh’ spam will (well, at least should) drastically reduce. Also counters ‘meh’ spammers’ advantages as with this solution their build no longer gets a leg up compared to the others.

Cons - May require more players and/or simultaneous games and splitting up players in a fair way, and multiple winners may be strange.

1. Hybrid solution of #7 with #4, #5 (I especially like this one), or #6 —> (Can make this another, separate suggestion post as well)

Pros - Essentially adds another ‘layer’ of fairness and acts as a buffer to further prevent unfairly voting and adds to the benefits from #7. In addition to combatting ‘meh’ spam, it will allow the benefits of multiple suggestions to integrate into the voting system.

Cons - May be complex for new players and difficult to implement, and could feature the drawbacks of both suggestions.

If you need clarification on some of the things I’ve said please ask.

Wow. This post is over 700 words and 4000 characters long. It’s a literal essay. And if you’ve read to this point then congrats lol. But these are important issues and I’m trying my best to communicate what I think are the best solutions. I would hate to see The Hive’s most popular game ruined just because of voting.

3 Likes

Another great suggestion for just build that would be PERFECT for an update right now because jb is the most popular game currently
But I would rather see this as it’s own gamemode “just build SHOWDOWN” and instead I have another way to create fair voting
new bad voting ban system
If a player doesn’t vote, mostly only votes bad, or mostly only votes love for multiple games they will get temporary banned from just build and also to encourage just build reporting quest points could be given for correct reports

Nice suggestion :slight_smile:

Bump, so that new players can see this.

This Suggestion is very good, because I’ve been noticing that off-topic builds can win a game sometimes, this idea will help limit their chance of winning.

2 Likes

Bump this idea being added into JB would make it much more fair and more fun to grind.

Small bump! I still like the idea… but

After thinking this through, I realized that there could be another problem with this voting system.

Each person, under this scenario, is put up against someone else at least once. If people see a really good build, they may be inclined to vote negatively on it to reduce the chance that it competes with their own build. What I mean is that people may think that to increase their odds of winning, voting good builds lower will reduce the chance that it is put up against their build and could get rid of its chance of winning right away, and that similarly, rating poor builds higher would tilt the vote in its favor, where eventually they would go up against those bad builds and be more likely to win. Still voted for the suggestion since it’s a lot better than what we have, but it’s something to think about…

I think the suggestion thread linked here → Not voting same lobby builds gets rid of this bias.

2 Likes

Bump, just build definitely deserves more love than just custom blocks. New levels plus this would make for an amazing update

1 Like

I think this would fix just build! The only problem is, it would change the game completely, so if it were to replace just build, it could be an LTM gamemode and after a few months of it being LTM there could be a survey to see which version players like more.
If it was a very close vote, it would stay as a gamemode. If it was by far out of favour for tournament, it would stay as an LTM for another month.

I didnt read all the replies so maybe someone else has said it, but you could see inappropriate build basically the entire ending of the game. Heres what i mean, not enough people report it so it doesn’t get removed, and look at that, it keeps winning so you see it again and again.
Sure, the report system it has right now is temporary, but will the new one really solve that problem? No, it definitely won’t. Firstly their isn’t enough moderators to be able to handle reports asap and probably never will be. Also the gamemode is popular because of two reasons, the funny builds newer players make and the inappropriate builds. So, many new accounts will keep joining even if they get banned for building inappropriate because they think their builds are funny.

Basically I’m saying is, build vs build would make seeing inappropriate builds happen more often, “Heres what i mean, not enough people report it so it doesn’t get removed, and look at that, it keeps winning so you see it again and again.”

incorrect, this suggestion would actually save time, as I stated in a previous reply.

I have never met a single person who thinks the inappropriate builds are funny

1 Like