Door glitch in hide and seek

Every hide and seek main is aware of the door glitch - where, if you’re on controller you can hold ur left trigger (the use button) when looking at a door or fence gate and it will open and close repeatedly and rapidly. Recently, hive “fixed” this bug, which would be a good thing if they hadnt also simply broken doors in the process. As of now, neither hiders nor seekers can open or close doors or fence gates which is a problem for a few different reasons on a few different maps.

The most obvious problem with this is that it cuts off parts of the map that were previously accessable, unintentionally removing hiding spots from multiple maps. These spots include (but are not limited to) the room at the bottom of nexus, the bathrooms on office and chinatown, and that closet on town square. Those were genuinely good places to hide that new players would often use and survive in (at least, the bathrooms on office and the room on nexus were). Removing these spots unintentionally already warrants a fix by itself, but thats just one problem with the doors being unusable.

Another problem with doors and fence gates being unusable is that you can get stuck in places you couldnt get stuck in before. One example of this are the boxes on the ferris wheel on Pripyat. You used to be able to leave them out the side through a fence gate but with the recent patch you no longer can do that. Another, much funnier example of this are the fenced-off areas on goldrush in the wide, open area of the map. With this change to fence gates one can now be permanently trapped in those areas if they cannot do the parkour, something I was able to use to trap 2 noob seekers earlier today.

The third and final reason to fix this is that being able to interact with doors and fence gates is much more fun than having them be off-limits to us. Running past an open door only to turn and close it in the face of whoever’s chasing you is one of the funniest things you can do as a runner (specifically, on chime in that one building near spawn).

All in all, instead of stopping players from interacting with fence gates and doors at all, hive should instead just impliment a delay when a controller player interacts with a door or fencegate, probably a delay of about .2 seconds or so. This would both fix the problem of the doors being annoying and also still allow for players to interact with them, which is a win/win in my eyes.

I’m not reporting this as a bug (though I really do think this is a bug), I’m instead posting this as a suggestion in case this is intentional in the hopes that this thread stays open long enough for others to voice their agreements (or disagreements). Also sorry, this is a bit of a read.

4 Likes

I was trying to say the same thing as you

TL:DR the hive ‘fixed’ the door bug but it removes hiding spots

2 Likes

I believe a more simple fix for this would be to have all these doors and fence gates open by default, just like on the murder mystery map eso hotel o:

2 Likes

this would be a good temporary measure, but ultimately I’d want to see doors and fence gates be intractable again as it allows for a more immersive gameplay experience. Also, for those few spots where closing a door helps the hider stay hidden (that truck on pripyat, for example), being able to open and close doors is still nice.

1 Like

On top of this I cannot stop thinking about the fence gates on the second floor of hacienda, now I cant open and run through them? Minor inconvenience lol

1 Like