Add Sequoia, Pineapple Port, and Hotel California from Java

Then why was sunset terrace (one of the biggest/hardest maps to seek) added? All 3 are smaller and easier to seek than Sunset, Nexus City, Town Square, and Hacienda, to name a few. Pineapple would be tied for the smallest Bedrock map, and all 3 wouldn’t even be in the biggest third of maps.

This just isn’t true or relevant in this case. I’m not asking for the 2013 hns maps to be added-- all of these maps were made at the exact same time as the other Bedrock maps, so this really isn’t a valid point. There is no issue with the quality of these maps; they’re recent enough that they look and feel just as modern as every other bedrock map. Because they are the same age as the Bedrock maps…

Yes, but it’s an issue that affects HNS significantly more. Every HNS game on a given map is fundamentally very similar-- you seek around the map the same way or hide in the same spot. For hiders there’s zero variation. Games like treasure wars depend on what multiple other teams choose to do for the entire game, so each game is very different even on the same map.

If Hive just doesn’t want to spend time on HNS, that would be a more legitimate reason than map age and size…

2 Likes

Sunset Terrace and especially Town Square are big maps and are prone to many hiders, who usually run which makes seeking (especially for newer players) harder, The maps suggested in this topic are probably smaller than them and if not you can edit the map and limit the number of hiding spots to a smaller, more fair amount.

2 Likes

The maps mentioned were added (near) Hide and Seek release in 2018 where the bedrock server was new and it obviously needed maps to play on. If you compare the Hide and Seek maps from 2018 to early 2021 with Capture the Flag for example, you will notice that CTF has much more detailed and fun maps and offer a wider range of variety (as it uses many different themes). :wink:

Themes and visuals don’t really affect the gameplay. And if we’re talking about visuals…

These are beautiful maps with really unique themes AND gameplay-- so there’s no issue with lack of variety. Sequoia’s layout was super unique and had really interesting spots, and Pineapple was small yet open and great for runners, with another really unique layout. All of these maps would introduce new themes AND gameplay while still being beautiful to look at. Furthermore, excess detail would probably make the game even harder for seekers, which seems to be the opposite of what Hive wants.

3 Likes

The maps may have some good visuals, but overall it’s just a building with an outside area which you can already find on most maps.

Pineapple port is more an island with a building than an actual port. If there was a port map I’d love to see something completely new, for example ships or container areas to explore and an actual port with many NEW visuals. A ship could also be a new map on it’s own for example. Almost all current maps include buildings like a house which is probably why Hide and Seek feels a bit boring after playing it for a bit. :blobheart:

2 Likes

A map that is solely inside a tree is completely new. There is no other map that’s even remotely similar in terms of layout.

Have you played these maps? Pineapple Port has a lot of ships and islands that aren’t shown in the image as far as visuals go. Almost the entire map is outside with no real buildings-- it’s difficult to see, but there are no outside walls in the structure.

It feels boring playing because there are only about 10 playable maps (some have areas where hiders can easily go out of map every game). I will say that the format of center area with buildings along the outside is a bit overused, but none of these maps have that format… And, even so, maps with similar layouts still feel completely different to play-- the issue really is just the small number of maps. Since I doubt any completely new maps are going to be built anytime soon, using great old Java maps seems to be a good compromise…

1 Like

I don’t see the reason why these maps have to be brand new. For Hive bedrock ONLY players who have never played java before (which makes up almost all of the community), they have never played these maps before, these maps are new to them.

Since all of the non-seasonal maps, apart from 2, are from java, why not just add 3 more maps? There’s only 12 permanent maps on bedrock as of now after 4 years, while Java had 29 in less than 8. Bedrock HNS has 10 times the amount of java players on average and because leaderboards have been added recently that average will increase. The more maps (and added content, hopefully an improvement to HIDING) will help retain the number of players who play this gamemode.

Since Hive had used these maps for so long, why just throw them away? Why not edit some of the old maps that are “outdated” and interprate new blocks into them?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that I never said that the tree layout is bad, I just personally think that the map is not on todays standard anymore? This is probably the only map that could find its way to Bedrock with some changes :sweat_smile:

Most hiding spots were on the main island and the building. I know that there were some ships but an actual port map that actually looks like a port instead of an island with ships and a building would be a lot better. Just imagine the port area in the main hub in bigger (and with other port-ish areas like I suggested above) :D

We have 2022, it’s time for some new map ideas in my opinion, that’s why I suggested a Ship map above (Other ideas: cave like the one in CTF, beach, airplane, … ) I would love to see some maps that don’t necessarily have buildings. :blobheart:

1 Like

Just because there are more unique possible maps doesn’t mean these shouldn’t be added or that hypothetical more unique ones would actually be fun to play. I can think of countless issues with an airplane map or a more open beach/cave (in no particular order: too many runners, no space at all to run, lack of creative spots, too many block piles).

When I made this post, I was mostly curious about the opinion of someone who was involved in making the decision of which Team Nectar maps to import from java or who has more HNS experience to determine whether or not a map is good to play : )

2 Likes

Most maps you can vote for are all about buildings. A tree-themed map would work, but Hotel California for example would just be another map like this. :see_no_evil: Pineapple Port is not really a port and that’s why I’d love to see something different (like an actual port). A cave (themed 1.17 and 1.18 or 1.19 in the future) would definitely work as it could have different areas (mineshaft, deep dark, amethyst, custom made areas, …).

Goldrush already has a cave/mine segment. Also there’s nothing wrong with building themed maps, a map being entirely outside (or otherwise not specifically a building) would probably be way too open and end up being a runner only map. Essentially Hide and Seek is perfect with buildings, even if they seem visually unappealing or uncreative to you.

1 Like

can’t the build team just port the Java maps, touch them up like they did with To Bee or not to Bee, or add some newer blocks?

kinda off topic but

isn’t kwirky working on a cave themed dr map?

4 Likes

There is only one block that can be used in the cave, most other blocks are for the outside area.

A port with containers and ships wouldn’t be considered a “runner only map”, You can pretty much run on every map in the game as long as you have better movement than the seekers. Obviously maps need hiding spots, but being a bookshelf or spruce plank on every map isn’t really that interesting too.

The current maps are “uncreative” because they all follow the same concept. If there was a new map with buildings I’d prefer something completely new, maybe an airport as it would be different to village / town themed buildings. :blobheart:

Sequoia has an interesting concept, I could see this map coming to Bedrock with some changes, but the other ones not really.

I think a DR map was announced in the past but I have no further information on this i’m afraid.

1 Like

There are spots for every block in the cave.

Containers aren’t fundamentally that different than small buildings, except that the quality of spots is significantly lower. There were multiple maps with containers rather than buildings on Java, and that style isn’t fun for HNS.

It may not be interesting to you personally, but most people care more about spots than blocks. There could be a block they love, but they always die early because there aren’t any good spots. Moreover, one of the best spots in the game is a bookshelf spot, so they may love hiding as a bookshelf on that map even if it’s not as good on other maps.

That’s because it’s what works best for HNS.
I think you’re overstating the importance of unique concepts for this game. Every single map plays COMPLETELY differently even if the “concept” is the same. What matter more are size, layout, and spots.

It’s just my personal opinion after all. It’s like if Mario Kart only had courses like below in 20 different variants. Sure you would play them, but you’d also love to play some more unique maps every now and then. :wink:

Yes but it’s not 20 variants of the same thing… The maps are all really different in terms of actual gameplay due to having different sizes, layouts, openness, and potential spots… and personally i would only like unique mario kart maps if i actually enjoyed the gameplay : ) Unique =/= better gameplay

edit: but obviously this is very off-topic now… I was just curious if whoever is in charge had a legit reason for not adding these particular maps alongside their peers. we clearly have a different perception of what makes a map good. I believe that my opinion is a lot more accurate to what most players think, given that I have played nearly 45,000 games in total and have a (IMO) better conception of what makes a map good to play for both beginners and experienced players, but i don’t think we’re going to get anywhere in terms of changing each others’ minds.

2 Likes

But new maps would also offer exactly that? New maps are different in terms of gameplay, have different sizes, layouts, etc. :D

More “unique” maps offer a wider range of gameplay, if it is better or not is up to the players themselves. As I said, the tree map is more unique than most maps and could make a good addition to the game, but it would probably need some changes first.
prayge

Yes i would love as many new maps as possible, but my point is that seq pp and hotel cali would also introduce new gameplay, and they could be added much more quickly because they already exist. Whether or not one person personally likes them isn’t that important because they were well-loved in general by players of all levels… Some changes to make them better suited for bedrock would be great of course.

3 Likes

I’d be so down for an ancient city/mineshaft/deep dark themed map. An airport also sounds cool. A Pirate ship could be amazing, as could a volcano or something. A map in the clouds would be very interesting, and something underwater (glass, obv. no swimming.) would be very nice too. However, these things take time to prepare while the java maps are already made and would only require some small adjustments to be made in order to port them to bedrock. The point moldbaby is making is that we want something soon, and these maps could be that something.

3 Likes

I Think this is a Mighty good suggestion. H n S maps are terrible right now, they need some more variety! i think if bedrock were to add this they would see a massive boost in players.

6 Likes