Weekly Game Maps

So hive has been on a bad schedule with maps sometimes adding many at once in game updates like sky wars, adding them frequently for a short time like with capture the flag, or rarely adding new maps like dr, sg, mm, and h&s (the games hive never updates) and in general the update scheduling is bad, with major updates and nothing in between, this is something that could greatly help fill these. Long update-less gaps (although minor updates would be great too)
So I’m suggesting weekly maps

HOW THIS WOULD WORK
Every week/2 weeks there would be a new map added to a gamemode, or multiple maps added to games (depending on the speed and size of build team)
I do think weekly maps would be possible as most map terrain is made using build tools (as seen from looking out of bounds on maps)
Games with smaller maps like sw and tw would receive maps much more often, and it works with the different maps for the different modes
Games like ctf or murder mystery could receive maps less often but still regularly
(1 for every 1-2 months) and same for others like sg and dr. the new maps could cycle through games so some aren’t getting more than others
This would give players a reason to return to play these games and make them less boring, but if this is way too hard for the build team to do I have a solution

This isn’t part of the main suggestion buy may make this much easier
VOLUNTEER BUILD TEAM
The volunteer build team would be players who want to help the server but don’t work for the hive, I’ll explain this in more detail
HOW PLAYERS WOULD APPLY
Just like helper role players would have to go through and apply for the build team. Some of the things they would have to do is show their build skill, have lots of free time to be able to build these maps, and have reasons just like helper
What Would These Players Do
If someone is part of the build team they are expected to be able to help build at many times, they can lose their building job if they aren’t helping with building, can’t help often, or are making many mistakes. Leaking future maps will result in punishment.
If someone on the build team hacks or griefs they will be fired and banned from hive permanently
REWARDS
The volunteer build team isn’t a payed job but they can get perks such as
Flying in hub
[BUILD TEAM] rank
Access to all cosmetics

I know so many under 18 or under 20 year old builders.
It could be them chance to shine in the spotlight!

2 Likes

Quantity doesn’t always equal quality. Sure, more maps are always great to have, but it takes time to build high-quality maps, which cannot be done within a week. :smile:

For anyone interested in working for The Hive as a level designer, we offer jobs (18+, serious applications only).
[There are currently no job openings :exclamation:]

This is not something we plan to implement, as we have a build team with more than 10 members, working part/full time. Additionally, volunteer builders usually don’t have as much experience as professional level designers.

And you pretty much mentioned most downsides to this aleady; volunteer builders aren’t as reliable when it comes to time management and other important capabilities, which are important for such a position. :wink:

8 Likes

ima bump this because hide and seek just got new maps and games like skywars are extremely boring with no new maps/updates
i definitely understand a lot of maps take time to build like deathfun and survival games but others such as the skywars and treasure wars maps look VERY easy to build especially with a team, because it’s just copying the same structures then adding the game’s code to that map

4 Likes

Very good idea I would love to see new maps added every week or a few weeks.

Gonna bump this as it’s coming true for a while at least. One new dr map out and then 1 more coming this week and 1 more after that. Haven’t heard any more news on the other maps(for sure 1 mm one) that are coming out so they could be after that. I like them not releasing all at once.

2 Likes

I would sign up for that.

I disagree with the flying and cosmetics. I don’t think even moderators have all the cosmetics. The rank is fine, but I don’t think this rank should have any perks that helper doesn’t.

3 Likes

I was thinking about coming back to this post, ya it does seem they are giving some maps to deathrun (new one was awesome in design)
but let’s not forget that skywars and treasure wars still be quite dead with no new maps AND THEY ARE THE EASIEST MAPS TO MAKE, ITS COPY/PASTE SKY ISLANDS so hive please put more maps for your most popular games……… it shouldn’t be that hard.

3 Likes

I’d say a bridge map would be easier to make.

2 Likes

Much easier, and I would love to see maps for bridge to make the game way more unique

2 Likes

With the Hive Build Teams quality standard, I just dont see this happening for any longer than three weeks.
And when they do do (:face_with_hand_over_mouth:) any sort of weekly map update (or update in general) they likely fully complete those things before releasing a batch.

2 Likes

Sure some games can use more maps but I don’t see this happening regardless since the Hive won’t have the time span of releasing new maps every week and the volunteers will most likely not take their jobs seriously.

I’ma bump this again

The Hive needs to figure something out, they keep adding games that new maps are needed, but never add maps. I’m sure gravity won’t receive any new maps besides some ltm ones for about a year, and when they finally do release new maps it’s going to be 2. “But quality maps take a lot time to make,” they have a professional build team of 9, they should be able to push out a new map once a week. I know they physically can’t for deathrun or survival game maps, but they got so many other games that have much smaller maps like: gravity, sw, tw, mm. Don’t even get me started on the actual quality of the maps, sure they look amazing, but gameplay wise they arent the best. They love putting grass, flowers, and even top snow in tw maps, even though those make the gameplay worse. Lemme start my bridge right here, oh into the void I go since grass will prevent me from bridging. The best example of a map that looks great, but is awful for gameplay would be that snowglobe one on tw trios/squads. Firstly, there’s barriers at the back of each base which just makes no sense, I’m sure they added it to prevent camping but no other map has that. The other reason would be the top snow everywhere, making it impossible to place a block there and it places on top of it. Also didn’t they do 50+ maps last winter fest?? Sure, 90% of them were reskinned maps, but that means updating maps shouldnt take over a week to do. I’d love for them to update maps, many need it and would save them a lot of time instead of adding a completely new map. Just update and make new maps, please! There’s games like ctf and survival games where there isn’t enough maps that you’d have to worry about your favorite map not being on the voting list. …when was the last time they added a sg map??

2 Likes

Recently this has returned to my mind, and I am planning a yt vid based around the scheduling of hive updates, like rn it’s mostly just big update then nothing, then another big update, but hive needs stuff like minor updates (such as bridge’s map additions) and stuff like weekly/biweekly maps would greatly help solve this issue

2 Likes