We need an SG update

Survival Games hasn’t been doing very well on The Hive recently. Even HnS and Death Run are more popular than it. I have wondered why that is the case, so I’ve been playing a bit of SG, and I’ve come to a conclusion. Hive SG needs a new update. Treasure Wars, Hide and Seek, and Death Run all have updates planned out, and the Treasure Wars update is already coming soon.

Now, what do I want for this update? I think that it should focus less on adding new rewards, and more on fixing the core problems with the game itself. Survival Games is the least popular game on The Hive because it is by FAR the least fair. First off, right when you join in the game, you spawn with nothing. This is a similar case with Treasure Wars, but it isn’t as big of a problem in Treasure Wars because Treasure Wars does not use an RNG looting system like Survival Games does. In Treasure Wars you buy items with gold instead of going through chests with random loot. In SG’s case, this is a major issue. In SG, not all chests will have weapons or armor. There are some chests that just have food and cobwebs. On top of that, mobile players can’t loot quickly like us Windows 10 and console players can. Thus, causing them to often end up with nothing in their inventories. I personally think that every player should spawn with a wooden sword and maybe some leather armor. Not only that, but I also think weapons and armor should be a bit more common. Also, I don’t think that players should be able to get diamond boots or diamond swords from the chests at spawn. Some people may disagree with me on this, but I think this issue should be addressed.

Next, lets talk about the crate system. There’s the level 1 crates, the level 2 crates, the cache cows, and the supply crates. Level 2 crates are seen at mid, level 1 crates are found throughout the maps, while cache cows and supply crates are randomly spawned. So, I talked about how players being able to get diamond gear at the start of the game being a problem, right? Well, diamond gear is found in these level 2 crates, and not in the level 1 crates. In every map, there are places where level 2 crates can be found other than at the start of the game. But, are these rare level 2 crates all that great? Some of them contain better items then what you find in level 1 crates, but that isn’t always the case. Infact, sometimes you have to go through some challenges to find these rare level 2 crates. Why is this a problem? Well, you might’ve already killed someone who got the good loot that level 2 crates offer at the start of the game. Going through some of these challenges just to find the same gear you got from the guys you killed just isn’t worth it IMO. I think that instead of just having level 1 and level 2 crates, the level 2 crates should just be “Spawn Crates” While the level 1 crates would be “Common crates” or “Random crates” Something along those lines. The rare crates should not have overpowered loot, but exclusive loot. The exclusive loot should be something that you would want to hunt for, something that would be useful during combat. In short, the loot system should be reworked and rebalanced so every player would have a fair chance to win.

Now, the next problem is more subjective, but its something that would be more of a quality of life suggestion. SG doesn’t have much map variety. Not just in terms of how many maps there are, but in terms of how unique the maps are. The current SG maps feel a bit too similar to each other in my opinion. They’re well-designed, but they feel too similar. There are some noticeable differences, yes, but the maps are mostly just large areas of grass with some buildings, trees, and lakes. Maybe add a desert-themed map, or a volcano-themed map. Heck! Maybe add an End-themed map! Again, the map design is more subjective than some of the other things I listed, but I think it could be improved.

Next, let’s talk about the pacing. Another reason why not many people play SG is because of the pacing. Because of the maps being widely spread out and huge, its MUCH harder to find people as opposed to a smaller map. Therefore, making the matches feel a bit long or a bit boring at times. I think a solution would be to add a tracking compass that points to the nearest player, like the one you can buy in Treasure Wars. But this time, it should come by default. Maybe when a player dies, a firework could shoot up from where that player died. It would make finding other players much less of a chore, and it would fix some of the pacing issues. In terms of rewards, maybe you could unlock custom firework blasts as you level up. Again, new rewards aren’t really necessary, but they would be nice additions nonetheless. Anyways, I think I’ve been rambling on for quite a while, and I think its time that I end this thread here. What are your thoughts on this?

paragraphs pls

8 Likes

tl;dr pls

2 Likes

Hive is still working on skywars please wait

I’m just gonna be a devil’s advocate for a bit-

• Mobile players can learn Tier 2 locations and go to those at the start of the game rather than go for mid.
  • Tier 1s are great for quick loot, gearing you up at the start of the game to help deal with any battles early on.
  • I haven’t seen a Tier 2 “Challenge” Most are hidden in buildings and the ones that require some effort are really easy.
  • If you can kill someone with better loot than you, then you probably don’t need to worry about crate loot.
  • As The Hive once said on twitter, “SG map big. SG map hard”
  • The consistent grassy fields are probably a way to compensate for the large map size, since it might be easier than other methods. And they still have recognizably different building designs too.
  • If you’re worried about the games being drawn out, why not find more Tier 2s and collect better loot for deathmatch?
  • Most players would miss a firework, and having your location revealed every kill could actually reduce combat.

And while I did just give a bunch of reasons why you’re wrong, I still agree, but it should be done differently:

1. Make diamond swords more common, because they’re pretty op in deathmatch. To compensate for a harder early game, make the mid tier 2s have a lower chance.
  2. Make cache cows and supply crates contain less items, as they could gear you up really well really quickly.
  3. Make iron chestplates, leggings, and golden apples appear in Tier 2s, they would still be very rare, but it closes the Tier 2 to Cache Cow/Supply Crate gap
  4. Heal players and give them a few seconds of invincibility after a kill during deathmatch, so they aren’t janitored and players are more compelled to fight during deathmatch.

That’s it! Just closing the Tier 2 to Cache Cow/Supply Crate gap and improving deathmatches would improve the game a lot, and most likely attract more players.

I’ve spent 30 minutes on this now what am I doing.

1 Like

Actually, a Treasure Wars content update is coming before SkyWars.

I know but there is no Sg update

Blockquote

That’s the problem. Having to wait until deathmatch just to find players only slows down gameplay. I want to be able to find players without having to wander around, waiting for deathmatch. It gets really boring and there really isn’t much action.

1 Like

You are right about that, but it might not be fair that there could be a player with gear much better than you constantly tracking you down

1 Like

not only that, people who run really slow down the game. Bows just decrease your speed and chases often take more than 3 minutes. cobwebs are useless if the player is in front of you, so if you are smart enough, you can avoid getting killed. I once chased a player for 7 whole minutes and I never caught the player until deathmatch. Fishing rods can change that, because right now sg games are boring. If you aren’t sifting through chests, you are chasing random players.

1 Like

I’d agree, we definitely need rods in SG. They’re a huge component to PvP in Minecraft.

the only disadvantage I can think of is that pe players can’t rod as easily, and this means that pc players have an even bigger advantage.

2 Likes

Overall I agree but I think that the devs will start on something since SG hasnt been touched in a little bit.

SG is still in beta which means it’s still under development. I believe it will get regular updates like other games once it’s out of beta.

Survival games are not so popular because:

• 1. Players do not have variety in gameplay, as soon as they collect all the necessary things there is nothing more to do than just run and wait until you are killed or you kill someone.
  • 2. In the same treasure wars, players can engage in pumping, buying various things, building a base, helping the team, building and protecting treasures, and in survival games there is nothing to collect in chests and running around the map.
  • 3. The PC players have a greater advantage, since it loots things much more slowly, runs slower, fights badly, and things like bow, snowballs give the PC player even more advantage.
3 Likes