Spanish Bug Report

Affected Language:
Which language does this issue affect?

Spanish

Affected Service (Game name, hub, or menu):
Where is the affected text?

In the games (not specific to a single gamemode because I noticed it across all of them).

Affected Text:
Please type the text, exactly as it appears in-game

“La partida empezará en”

Suggested Text:
“El partido empezerá en”

Explanation of Issue:
What is wrong with the text, and why would your suggested improvement be better?

The current text is in feminine form when it should be in masculine. In Spanish, all nouns are either feminine or masculine. When you want to use “the” before these nouns, the feminine ones use “la” before them while the masculine ones use “el” and you DID do that here, except the affected text is saying “the departure will start in” because “la partida” in English means “the departure” while “el partido” means “the game” or “the match”.

Screenshots and/or video:
Here are some places where it can be seen being used incorrectly

(Above the health/hunger)

(Above the health/hunger again, but this time it’s saying “Finding a new departure in 12…” and the correct translation would be “Buscando un partido nuevo en 12…”)

(This one was after a game of Deathrun ends and it’s saying “End of the departure”. The correct translation would be “fin del partido”

Hey there,

Thanks for submitting a translation report.

Can you specify what version of Spanish these suggestions are for? - Regular Spanish or Latin American Spanish.

Thanks!

1 Like

My mistake, this is on Latin American Spanish.

Hey there :wave:

Thank you for suggesting an improvement for our translations!

I have forwarded this suggestion to our professional translators to be verified.

Have a great day! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey there,

After discussions with our translators, we have decided that the current string is fine as it is, you can read their explanation for this below:

There is no mistranslation saying “la partida” to refer to a part of a entire game or a single match. Please see the following links:

The confusion maybe is due to the fact that “partida” is a “polysemic” word in Spanish, which means that it has more than one meaning (and partida has like 10 different meanings), which is naturally adapted by speakers according to the context (i.e travels, vs. games in this case, see also definition 1 in both links provided).

The phrase is also used in multiple other places on The Hive.

Have a great day :slightly_smiling_face: