Realistic Block Party Lights

In Block Party, the rafters have several beams pointed at the players:

I believe the lights could look even better if their beams were more realistic. This would mean three changes:

1. The light falloff would be much less prominent. In addition, each light ray would increase in size as it travels downward, creating a pyramid shape.

2. Black light would be removed. No light can produce darkness, so the light’s output would be completely transparent.

3. At the start of the game, the intensity of the lights should increase rather than the beam length. Currently, the beams of each light start very short and lengthen, however, this is not possible for a light fixture to do.

The changes are rather small, but they could improve the atmosphere of the game significantly. What are your thoughts on these changes?

I do not agree that they should be more realistic, tho they should remove the black lights.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t see the need to make the lights more realistic, its just a game and added for decoration purposes.

Also even if Hive does consider this, would anyone really care or notice?

2 Likes

lmao, this would be no where close to the prioritization list for the server and team

plus its not gonna benefit anyone’s game experience unless you’re that triggered over a small ui thing. pass

3 Likes

I don’t think many people would notice, but that’s how a lot of things like this go

With most technical things, most people only notice when things go wrong or are done incorrectly; they rarely notice when things are done correctly. The hive made a ton of aspects of block party accurate to the real thing, this is the only (significant) nitpick I could find.

Tldr: you are right, very few people would notice, but that doesn’t mean it can’t/shouldn’t be changed

2 Likes

Block party is already very fun and high quality and I don’t think this is worth implementing. As you said, people only notice when things are done wrong, but most of the game was done right. Hive should not waste their development power on such a small change, they should focus their efforts on important things, like adding more hats. (The hats thing is a joke, please don’t unalive me.)

4 Likes