New Deathrun Gamemode: Deathrun Abilities

Introducing: Deathrun Abilities

Deathrun is soon approaching a new level-cap of a three-digit number, along with possible prestige levels. As one of the oldest games on the server, I want to share a new and invigorating gamemode to celebrate and enhance this milestone. Analogous to Skywars and Skywars: Kits, both gamemodes contribute to the same statistics and DR-level. Custom servers can access both contents.

This update adds 1 quality of life change across both gamemodes and 1 new game mechanic to the new gamemode.

QOL Update: Compass for Death

This change applies to the Death. The compass will be located on the ninth slot and point towards the leading runner. It provides a better overview of runner’s positions, a vital tool with the introduction of abilities. Additionally, the first 2 slots are replaced by 2 new interactable arrows pointing in opposite directions to better indicate the direction when warping between traps.

New Gamemode: Deathrun Abilities

This gamemode offers a range of new abilities, each with their own beneficial effect(s) and custom cooldown. The leap is removed, making it exclusive to the existing Deathrun gamemode, and replaced by a group of 12 unique abilities, always available and selectable in the waiting lobby.

A runner can choose one ability per run; the selection will be saved. Every ability is toggled with a matching interactable item on the runner’s first slot, applying the specific effect(s) and cooldown.

Here is a rough list of every new ability and their properties:

Dash (sugar):

• applies 4 seconds of speed 3 to the runner
  • regenerates after 13 seconds

Ghost (ghast tear):

• applies 3 seconds of invisibility to the runner
  • applies 2 seconds of speed 2 to the runner
  • regenerates after 11 seconds

Stalwart (iron chestplate):

• applies a shield to the runner, granting immunity from every trap except water for 2 seconds
  • provides a short burst of speed
  • regenerates after 15 seconds

Speedrunner (blaze rod):

• when activated, provides 5 seconds of speed 3 if a checkpoint can be passed during a 3 second time window
  • if no checkpoint is passed, provides a long burst of speed
  • regenerates after 18 seconds

Engineer (redstone dust):

• blocks the use of the next closest trap for 3 seconds
  • the slimeballs on the Death’s hotbar turn to gunpowder, making them uninteractable
  • the green-red glass blocks next to the trap turn grey to visualize the sabotage
  • has a 10% chance of failing the sabotage
  • provides a moderate burst of speed
  • regenerates after 20 seconds

Ascension (shulker shell):

• applies 3 seconds of levitation to the runner
  • applies 2 seconds of speed 2 when landing
  • regenerates after 11 seconds

Fox (slime ball):

• Applies 2 seconds of jump boost 2 to the runner
  • Applies 3 seconds of speed 2 to the runner
  • regenerates after 12 seconds

Enderman (ender pearl):

• teleports the runner to the next further runner
  • provides a moderate burst of speed
  • regenerates after 10 seconds

Golden leap (golden carrot):

• provides a leap that propels the runner 50% further than a normal leap
  • regenerates after 30 seconds

Totem (totem of undying):

• when applied, places a custom spawpoint at that very location
  • the runner can respawn max. 3 times on the new spawnpoint
  • provides a long burst of speed
  • regenerates after 16 seconds

Bomber (TNT-block):

• drops a bomb at the runner’s current position that explodes in 0.5 seconds
  • the bomb launches any runner away from its blast radius
  • it’ll most likey propel the runner placing it forward (50% of leap’s distance)
  • provides a long burst of speed
  • regenerates after 18 seconds

Reaper (phantom membrane):

• when applied, creates a tally tracking all runner’s deaths for 3 seconds
  • after the 3-second time window, for every death accumulated, the runner will receive 1 second of speed 1
  • regenerates after 15 seconds

Numbers may require tweaking. Some effects, e. g. speed, jump boost will not trigger while on a speed or jump-boost pad. The effect caused by a pad will be prioritized, the same effect caused by abilities ignored and resumed after the initial effect dissipates.

Final words

This gamemode can offer new and much needed content. It keeps the typical feel and facilitates the transition for new players and/or on different devices, while adding new elements of strategy and even speedrunning possibilities, sparking longtime entertainment for new and old players. New abilities can be added, existing changed and removed if need be. It doesn’t erase the purpose or replace the existing Deathrun gamemode, instead complements it with a twist. It also lifts the pressure for active builders needing to release maps regularly to deliver more content and instead shifts the focus on the abilities and their uses on the different maps. Those who still prefer playing the normal gamemode can do so unhinged.

To clarify, this is just a suggestion. My goal is to brainstorm a suitable and feasible concept, accounting for consistency across the remaining games, fun gameplay, good adaptability and broad availability. Deathrun is almost entirely exclusive to The Hive, no other server offers this minigame, that’s why I believe there is more potential that must be extracted before it might go extinct. I appreciate any input and hope this idea is coherent. Thank you for reading!

EDIT: PvP-related abilites have been removed and replaced. They could cause issues with specific visibility settings and create an unbalance during a run.

I really like these ideas. What I love about this post is that the kits aren’t too OP- like I’ve seen so many sky-kits suggestions where people say ’ Oh there should be a kit that instantly lets you win the game!’ But this is great, there’s none that are really OP.
A suggestion- maybe there should be deathrun (the original) and a deathrun kits with exactly these. Like with skywars and skywars kits!
Plz everyone vote for this.
Also don’t forget to vote for your own post.

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind reply!

It was already specified that both gamemodes coexist, just like Skywars & Skywars Kits.
Indeed, Skywars Kits was my inspiration for this final draft.

I always wanted more variety inside a runner’s hotbar, the java edition version of DR had 3 ‘boosts’ that launched the runner in different directions; the player had to briefly turn left, right and even perform a 180 to achieve a forward launch. That alone made the runs much more intense and challenging.

Accounting for the nature of bedrock edition and the difficulty that the Hive is aiming at, I was trying to find a similar concept to accomodate this feeling.

Using abilities during a run was already brewing in my head a long time ago. At first I was thinking of Mariokart alike item boxes scattered around the map, but it quickly occured to me how complex and different the game would become, not really aligning with the Hive’s approach.

I opted for a simple concept, very reminiscent of Skywars Kits, that is easy to implement and getting used to. It’s not going to be revolutionary, but it’ll add a nice touch and sense of care for this sparse yet fun minigame. Thanks again for the positive feedback, it’s much appreciated!

4 Likes

Tbf, I would like dr to be more exciting. By that I mean more parkour and 180s like you said about Java. The two games should have linked lvls like with sw.
Edit: I just realised the 180s might not be a good idea because I’ve heard it’s rly hard to turn on Xbox.

4 Likes

The sword and joker kit may be a little problematic and annoying for runners with other kits, both having deaths and runners chasing them and trolls stopping their abilities.

It would probably also ruin the appeal for some non-pvp players such as myself, as DeathRun is one of the easiest gamemodes for mobile players once you get the hang of it.

All the other kits sound great, and are very creative, good job! :smiley:
Especially the golden leap kit!

7 Likes

I don’t think pvp in deathrun is a good idea. the point is to kill runners as a death or run as a runner. kits with swords will just make it worse for the deaths and the runners…

4 Likes

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Some abilities are just rough ideas, your concern about mobile players is absolutely justified. I’ll remove and edit some of the more aggressive abilities. They can indeed overwhelm the runner and make it unnecessarily harsh. That’s also why I haven’t added abilites that directly obstruct the runner, say nausea, or blindness effects, they would become annoying over time. Thanks for the tipp!

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion,

I’ve removed and replaced them with more neutral abilities. Your point is valid, having PvP elements just isn’t in the spirit of Deathrun, that part should be exclusive to the Death.

3 Likes

I Like these ideas, but i think Ender Pearl could be a little too OP for a runner in 2nd place. So I’d say once that runners in second, they can’t use the pearl. but otherwise, Voted!

2 Likes

Bump! Deathrun with kits?! This would be amazing!

3 Likes