Make Users Read the Rules

This is a suggestion for the Forums

Idea:
Have new users read the rules

[Write down your suggestion here, keep it short]

When a new user makes an account and joins the forums they should automatically be sent to the Rules section to read the rules.

More information:
Having new users read the rules right away would make sure necro-posting and making duplicate suggestions won’t happen as much. A lot of people have necro-posted and made a duplicate suggestion (me included) when they joined the forums cause they didn’t read the rules.

[Include any other information that you think is relevant here]
Some people want new users to have a one day cool down for when they can post, but I think that would discourage them to come back when the next day comes (they might not know it’s a one day thing)

If you agree or disagree please tell me why

Thanks for reading

Edit: I found @unikern kind of suggested it in his topic to add a 1-2 day cool down for new users

yes, but does this exist within discourse?

3 Likes

Oh. I didn’t think about that.

Could they make Hivebot message the rules? (I don’t remember if it does)

They can change Discobot’s “Welcome!” message dialogs.

(I’m not going to explain why I said “discobot” instead of “hivebot”, because I already said it before and I don’t want to repeat it.)

6 Likes

its like putting the terms of service before you install something

its there, you have to agree to it, but no ones gonna read it all

3 Likes

Since @GottenDesert0 pointed out that no one is going to read them either way, the hive should force new users to pass a multiple choice quiz with questions about the rules. If they don’t pass, they’ll have to retake the quiz. If they put in random answers, or take the quiz multiple times to get the right answers, they’ll end up learning what the rules are anyways. Even when they think they’re cheating the system, the quiz will accomplish it’s intended goal all along, all part of the master plan :smiling_imp:

Yeah this probably won’t happen but if it does I can have the satisfaction of knowing the amount of pain I have caused new forumers by forcing them to actually learn the rules. How evil.

9 Likes

You’re an evil person. I like you

7 Likes

That would be good, i made a few mistakes bc i didnt read the rules
Edit: Voted

1 Like

I very much agree that users should be made to read the rules through properly but I’m not sure how we’d enforce this. Even if Discourse allowed us to redirect people to the rules page when they join, it’d be as easy as them clicking right back off it :c Discord servers do the same in bringing you to the rules page upon invite or saying “Please read the rules” once you join, but that doesn’t mean people do it, sadly.

As for the bot, unfortunately I believe we only really have control of the welcome message and not much else. Discourse has hinted adding a way for us to create interactive messages (like the tutorial) which would be really helpful in getting some of the rules across but until then, the bot wouldn’t be much help either.

9 Likes

i think we may need a splodge in here

5 Likes

Sadly we’re already doing about as much as we can do, by directing new players to read the rules with a notice.

5 Likes

Bump, this needs to be added now.

It’s incredible how literally there’s an welcome pop-up at the top of the page when you’re not logged in/don’t have an account and pretty much every newcomer ignores it

5 Likes