Big JB revamp to stop inappropriate builds and meh spammers

Honestly, I have had to stop playing just build completely because of all the inappropriate builds and meh spammers.

What I think should be done, is that just build should completely remove all competition and become a single player game. All voting systems would be removed. You get a random topic, and you have to try to build it. If you build off topic or build inappropriately, it won’t matter to much. I’m not sure how you would get XP, but I’m sure that hive team can come up with something good.

To everyone that is going to say “Hey you can do this in a CS” Yes, you can, of course. Like anything else. It takes a while to make a CS, and then it sends you back to hub after you finish the game and you have to do it all over again. Also, for new players joining the Hive and playing build battle, it is very hard to get podium because everyone voting meh so that their build gets first. Also, the sheer amount of inappropriate builds makes new players completely avoid the game because if their parents see something inappropriate they get completely banned from playing servers. Not fun. Also, new players usually do not know how to make a CS for a while. (I didn’t know until a year after I started playing Hive :sweat_smile:)

I hope hive team hears this because it is probably one of the biggest problems on Hive and should be fixed before the adding of new features like the new hub. Quality is better than quantity.

This change is likely way too drastic for the Hive to implement it. You are suggesting to completely revamp the most popular game on the hive.

I don’t think we have smart enough AI to judge a player’s build according to a topic, unbiased.
If you think the builds should be judged with simpler methods, it likely would be easy to exploit the system.

A large aspect of Just Build is the voting. I would argue that it’s better( for the game’s player count) to keep the current voting system with the inappropriate builds than to make the game singleplayer.

Also, there are other methods to stop players from ‘meh spamming’. One would be to limit the amount of ‘mehs’ a player can give per game.
Another would be to mathematically detect their votes as outliers to other players’ votes for a build. This option would allow multiple courses of action against the ‘meh spammer’.

4 Likes

All the competitive aspects just * poof * vanish with this format.
It suddenly goes from “Build Battle” to “build to a random theme and we’ll ban you if you don’t comply with the theme”
And that’s just not what just build’s about.

NGL I love this Idea. I cannot tell you how many ducks (IYKWIM) I have seen built in JB. It makes me not wanna play the game.

1 Like

I do think something has to be done about these issues, but this would be, as RicOnSwitch said, way to drastic of a change.
Without the voting, you change it from Build Battle to Build by Theme, removing all competitive aspects from the game other than having a higher level than others. Besides, playing with/against other people is pretty much the entire purpose of servers.
You could just have a friend give you a theme and have them judge you on it. All we really can do is just report those who must be reported.

Yeah. I’m not sure my suggestion is the way to do it but there has to be some way to stop all the issues.

I agree that the inappropriate builds are getting out of hand, because I’ve even had to report the same players multiple times. But I think that an alternative, if possible, would be to have a bot of some sort that detects “that build”, ifykyk, and removes the player and their build before voting starts.

Having AI accurately judge if builds are inappropriate or not would be very difficult. Letting an AI actually give out punishments is out of the question. Even just programming/training an AI to assist mods by filtering reports would be hard.

6 Likes

speaking as someone who doesn’t play just build very often, systems to report inappropriate builds exist, and as long as hive staff are engaging with the reports (which I presume they do), I don’t see it as a debilitating issue. While people who spam meh are certainly annoying, they are only giving themselves slightly better odds of winning, and would need to build something other people find good. I just don’t find either thing to be a major issue that isn’t being actively dealt with

4 Likes

The game at the moment is a little bit annoying but a better solution for these problems is Build vs Build suggestion by Rechenheft. Whilst “meh” spammers are annoying I don’t think punishing them is the right option.

3 Likes

I think we can ad this with what is now, like a new selection when you enter the Just Build mode.