A new requirement for helpers

So first off I think the helper process is really through and good, but there is one thing that annoys me, which is the fact that although you are required to have a discord account, you aren’t required to have chatted in the hive discord, and anecdotal evidence tells me that they have allowed in helpers who haven’t previously been in the hive discord.

So what I’m suggesting basically is a new requirement for helpers that you must have had to have been in the hive discord for like 2 months and sent like 30 messages, so nothing absurd, just an amount to prove you have been somewhat active in the discord community, considering the fact that I feel that that is a very important part of the community that helpers should be expected to participate in. Since you really shouldn’t get mod privileges and be expected to be a leader in something you’re new in.

Now to be clear, I understand that the helpers may be much more active on the server itself then on the discord and forums, I understand that maybe the helpers are going through a busy phase and might not be able to do alot, I understand that helper is a difficult job hard to find people for and something like this could make it more difficult to find people possibly.

However, I feel as if requirements like these should be easy to hit even for a fairly busy person, and that these won’t interfere with most helper candidates, and Sourmatt and Scorse can make exceptions if they implement something like this, it shouldn’t automatically disqualify somebody.

And this isn’t made because of any particular helper, it’s just something that’s been going on for a long time that I can’t figure out any good reason to go this way.

I respect all the hive staff and everything they do, but I think something like this is necessary to add to the list of helper requirements

2 Likes

Not everyone enjoys Discord - if this was a staff requirement I probably never would have been able to be staff myself. The point of the Helper role is someone who is active and has knowledge of the server. If someone is active in-game, they are considered active. Chatting on Discord is definitely a nice bonus, but if someone is active in-game above all else and chooses not to interact in Discord, I don’t think it’s fair to disqualify them for Helper based on that fact alone.

EDIT: Thinking on this a bit more I’m likely going to update the requirement to now specify that the applicant must have a Discord account AND be a linked Hive Discord member. I believe part of this is that some applicants just have not used Discord at all, and this may help get people involved with Discord that previously may have not before. I’ll make further tweaks as needed. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Alright thanks! I do agree that helpers shouldn’t be disqualified since they aren’t a big fan of chatting on discord (I certainly didn’t like chatting there for a while lol), and thanks for responding

7 Likes

how do i sign up for being a hive helper?

You can find all the information and the application link here :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Do you need to use Discord to be a Hive Helper?

You don’t have to be active in the Discord, though it would likely help to at least be somewhat active. For the helper role, you are required to have a Discord account.

1 Like