Platform-based Matchmaking Changes

Idea:

I’m suggesting a lower requirement for online players to initiate platform-based matchmaking.

More information:

I was informed that currently the required amount of online players in each individual gamemode (e.g. sky-squads, sky-trios, etc) requires at least 300 online players for Platform-based Matchmaking to take place. I’m suggesting this number be lowered, if not removed when there are not as many players online. I understand this is very controversial as people have different experiences with battling players on various platforms, but in my experience, it’s not easy to fight a player in 1-on-1 combat using a controller when they’re using a keyboard & mouse. I can only imagine the difficulty on mobile/tablet platforms. Simply put, I don’t understand completely why a 300 online player count is relevant when it comes to providing a balanced and fun experience.

This doesn’t seem neccessary, the only time games other than block drop, ground wars or survival games (the least popular games) go below 200 players, at least on eu, is late in the day or early in the morning.

1 Like

I understand completely. Perhaps it could just be for the PvP-related games tbh, as for the past week or so (no matter the time of day), it’s been nothing but Myself vs PC players. As I said, it’s a very controversial topic.

Pbmm is already only turned on on PvP based games

1 Like

Just a reminder that match making is decided by the amount of players in game type so yes this is a big issue especially for people trying to play sg and people who are trying to play during different times of day and of course the match making still needs to stop mobiles on controller/kbm from getting into mobile lobbies. And this will get worse as the hive continues to die from their quality over quantity from lack of updates

5 Likes

Im not gonna post anything about this topic but from all i can understand and all i will say is train train and :train: to get better and to obliterate ppl.

And also this looks like adults typing coz all of the thingies and the thingies…

So thats why i dont understand.

Adios :v:

but only if 300 players are playing on that region in that specific gamemode

Oh I read the post as saying 200 lol

The problem you might be seeing is device input. There’s quite a few people that use keyboard and mouse on consoles and even mobile. Controllers on mobile happens probably the most out of all of these. PBMM as far as I know it does not use device input in anyway for match making. I’d suggest to for The Hive to try device based match making instead of PBMM for 2 or so weeks. They can get feedback to improve it or just go back to PBMM

I could only see this being needed in eu and Asia regions.

I would love to see a change like this on every region. I would also love to see the 300 people number be lowered, as the longer que times are worth the wait to mobile players who want to have fun (the majority of the players btw). The 300 player thing makes sg unfun to play as a mobile player where with pbmm constantly enabled (and filtering out the controller and kbm players on a mobile device) it might be getting double or triple the player count.

The “downside” to having pbmm is that it makes some players experience longer ques, but some sacrifices need to be made. Never having pbmm enabled is already making many mobile players dislike sg because they never win, and so the game is kinda dead.

According to information they provided, their “Platform-based Matchmaking” is actually “Input-based Matchmaking”, they consider this the same.

I can see how this is an issue, this is why I think it should be lowered only at times where it’s relevant instead of being a fixed number.

1 Like

It was just lowered so this needs closed?

1 Like

wait it was?

omg whats it at now and how do u know and for what games??

Adjustment to Platform-Based Matchmaking

For a better experience on games and regions with lower amounts of players, we have lowered the requirement for Platform-Based Matchmaking from 300 to 200 players. We will continue to monitor queue times to ensure this is a correct balance between gameplay experience and waiting times.

Additionally, we are investigating taking input type (touch, controller, KBM) into account for matchmaking in the near future. This is mainly aimed at making mobile queues fairer.

Our upcoming “region agnostic” update, which enables cross-region gameplay and matchmaking, will future improve the availability of Platform/Input-Based Matchmaking whilst lowering queue times.

5 Likes

:eyes:

This just made my week omg

4 Likes

but they just did this tho?

I wrote this post on the 8th of August, it was just brought alive again when someone commented letting me know this change was made (as they posted it on their discord).

3 Likes

still waiting :yawning_face:

2 Likes