Perks in Skywars and how to make it balanced

Searched for this, don’t think its a dupe suggestion. If it is, I’m going to delve deeper into it and explain how it can be balanced.

We all hate getting cleaned, after finishing a fight, you’re low on health. Maybe you pearl away but you end up being super low and get killed regardless. Here’s where my idea comes in. What if, after achieving certain amounts of unmodified xp, you gain a perk? Currently I only have a few ideas-

• No pearl damage
  • Regen on kill
  • Strength on kill
  • Speed (1-2) after grace period
  • Speed on kill

Obviously, using all of these would be stupid op. I think to balance it, Hive could make it so you could only have 1 or 2 perks active at a time. This makes you really need to think about which one is most effective for your playstyle. Obviously, they could add more perks, and you can suggest ideas in the replies of this thread. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

before you guys go and say “hIvE+ AnD bOoStErS” I explicitly said “unmodified xp”
this would reward different playstyles and not just campers

i like the idea. Pearl damage should be removed anyway it shouldn’t be a perk. Maybe giving a chance of better luck for lapis books

6 Likes

I like this idea. While positioning and just general game knowledge should be a skill Skywars players should have, I believe adding in a “perk” or just simply some way to reduce being cleaned in a Skywars game would not only make the game more noob friendly, but overall more enjoyable for everyone including the more competitive players. I think some of the ideas suggested here are good, and some not so great; I’ll explain why. I personally think having no pearl damage would be a great feature to have normally, but having it as a perk would work great too. I think strength of any sort of any period of time is too op. Having strength 1 increase attack damage by 130%. Even if a player can only get 1-2 hits off on the attacker with this effect, I still believe it’s too great of an offensive ability. We’re talking about theoretically preventing cleaning, not trying to start a rampage jumping from kill to kill with this perk. I also think having speed at the start of the game is too overpowered. Getting to mid is indisputably the best and easiest way to get the best armor the game has to offer. You’ll rarely not be able to a full set of diamond armor if you manage to snag all of the chests. Speed would theoretically aid this and be very anti-noob-friendly. The bigger reason this shouldn’t be added since you could say, “but a pearl gets you there faster” is that having speed makes it easier for a skilled player to get combos, thus making it much harder for the less experienced player to compete. I would also like to add this for the part of getting speed after a kill. While this seems like an okay idea, I don’t know how well it’d work out in practice. This is once again a thing where it can be turned offensively. Not only that, but should you choose to run away from your new encounter, you may be caught parkouring or something of that nature when your speed runs out and leaves you flying into the void. That and (while I haven’t checked it out) speedbridging/jumpbriding might be affected making it either impossible or much harder to do either/both. Not doing much to help the cause of escaping exactly. That and it removes/minimizes the functionality of the speed book. The last idea though, is one that I’m fond of. See, in this game going into a fight at max strength means having your full set of diamond armor and a good sword as well as maybe even some enchanted books. It also means have your 5 free golden hearts from Redstone. (Or 7 hearts if you were to mine all 5 Redstone blocks and then use a gapple) It is for this reason that I believe a low Regeneration effect should be added upon kill. A player that has sustained enough damage to actually warrant a boost after a fight to prevent getting cleaned will receive a light Regen boost for 3-5 seconds. This would give the player a small compensation for the fight they just underwent and managed to win, whist not being an advantage or something that can be turned offensively (at least very well) unto a new player. This boost wouldn’t do any good for a player that just managed to 1-tap a player into the void since they wouldn’t be missing the 5 free golden Redstone hearts, but it would help aid a player that just won a close enough battle to need the extra healing. This of course is all just my suggestion, but I’d love to see some other creative feedback to improve this game. It has a lot of potential room for growth in my opinion and I’d love to see it reach its peak. Please leave your opinion on this below and any other ideas. Sorry for any misspellings and hopefully this all made sense.

8 Likes

Holy god. I really just wrote an essay about Skywars perks didn’t I?

5 Likes

holy hell you just did.

1 Like

might want to break it into multiple paragraphs, each with its own “point” so its easier to read.

now, my analysis

no pearl damage is simple and thus no real rework is needed

Regen is good, especially if its a regen 1. it will give you more hp but you still can die in the regen period.

str is not that good, assuming its after killing someone and last for like a few second. it will give a huge advantage in 1v2+s. plus most of the time you 1v2 is you from mid against some side islanders or camper. so i think it might be too powerful

first you need to bridge, brics analysis is what im gonna say here aswell. bridging may be disturbed a bit etc. but if you are on pc thats pretty much a huge buff. mid is op if you get there 10+ sec before everyone else

speed on kill is good, nothing too crazy you need some prey first too.

for ideas. here are:

remove debuff on kill. make fire/poison/slowness go away if you kill someone. simple and yet might be too weak

Absorbtion on kill. gives 1/2 heart as regen would have done but its absorbtion

3 Likes

maybe one perk could just be better luck with ores? idk, maybe a chance to get double items on certain ores and better luck with gold and lapis ore, that would def get people to actually mine gold ore

2 Likes

I personally don’t think anything should be added that gives higher leveled people an advantage. It wouldn’t be p2w because it’s unmodified, but it would still make it painful for noobs, who already have to learn the meta when they first start

2 Likes

so u don’t think skill should be accounted for?

I mean, getting better as you play is different from getting ingame advantages for playing longer. Leveling advantages makes it less about skill/strategy and more about how much you grinded. It’s an interesting idea if it was available to everyone though

5 Likes

Yeah, I have to agree with Blaze on this one.

Levels don’t equal skill

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from with this, but I think just adding the +3 hearts per kill would be good enough to prevent cleaning.

After looking at some of the responses I too kind of agree that maybe a “perk” isn’t the type of thing Skywars needs, but I do think the idea of adding Regeneration for like 5 seconds would bring a positive change to Skywars that would make it harder to clean and more noob friendly. So maybe this regeneration can be added in as a default effect for everyone or maybe some or method of preventing/reducing cleaning would be good too

2 Likes

I still feel like its fine because I don’t think there’s another way that you could make this happen, just make it for like level 10, 20, 30, and 40. Like you can unlock one at each level.

1 Like

Great idea, but here’s the problem.
Now i dont wanna be “that dude”, but when people wanted kits when you get to a certain level, hive didn’t want to add that because they didn’t want people who play more to get more stuff than starter players.
This can easily be fixed if everyone has access to these perks no matter how much xp they have.
oh i just read above that @BlazeDrake100 already said this lol

i added more info i guess ¯_(ツ)_/¯
idk why but the shrugging emoticon loses his arms when u type it out.

5 Likes

I agree but i think people who play more should unlock the perks or / kits I know that would make it hard for new players but as long as they are easy to get and can be get in the lv 1-10 this would make it easy and make the game better by stopping people from cleaning and adding strength chains and make players more aggressive to rush and fight. And if it is in the lv 1-10 new players can play a few games or grind for a day and have most perks.

I know this is a big bump but I actually really like this idea so I’ll critique it

Yes! Clutching is so annoying with this and it’s needed. I’d totally use this.

This makes sense so you wouldn’t get cleaned

This reminds me of the one on Hypixel, and also would provide a lot of kill chains and would make players rush quickly after kills.

This would be the one I’m objecting to. This would make it so you could always get to mid faster than everyone else, and make it so nobody could catch you. You could run for the whole game and nobody could do anything about it. It would also be annoying to play with as it would be a big adjustment.

This does kinda make sense. You could run after getting a kill, preventing you from getting cleaned up. Also, it would help in kill chains as you could combo more easily.

i can tell you are a java player. i like the idea, but this makes the game really unbalanced

no pearl damage is good, but it wont really change much, as it only does 3 points and doesnt kill you.

regen on kill isnt good. it just gives you a really big advantage against new players. you would just kill the person next to you then move on to the next island within 10 seconds and have good health. free kills and no one has fun.

strength on kill does not stop cleaning as you might think

hypixel skywars is REALLY hard for new players. when i first started playing it, it was really hard for me not to get spawn killed within the first 5 seconds. so speed wont really help to stop that from happening on the hive.

speed on kill also does not stop cleaning.

you are also just copying hypixel. i hate hypixel skyways with passion. i cant seem to get anywhere in any of the matches i play. that makes it REALLY REALLY hard for new players, which will just make the skywars player count go way down. as much as 19 people that have voted for this think its a good idea, it would kinda kill skywars

1. If you’re talking to uni he’s banned

2. If you’re talking to me, I don’t own Java and my pc is 15 years old and can’t load Minecraft