Block Party: Map Balancing (Part 2)

Hello dear reader! My name is zachary5149 and I have been playing Block Party for… well let’s just say it’s been a long time! I couldn’t be happier that Block Party is finally out and I cannot wait to see it develop as time goes on! I have so much I want to discuss and I would like to start by offering a video for people to watch instead of reading my thread!

YouTube Video Link: A Comprehensive Review of Bedrock Block Party - YouTube
(You can also search “A Comprehensive Review of Bedrock Block Party” by zachary5149)

Suggestion #3: Map Balancing
A lot of the maps (30 out of 47 from what I gather) with 0.5s of reaction time, on the best spots on each map, are missing at least three or more colors, resulting in inflated luck-factors that result in skill being less common in games. For example, if a map has 16 colors, the best spot has seven and you can’t reach nine, there’s a higher chance you would lose than survive with 0.5s of time. What I’d like to see is the best spots on each map being able to reach an extremely high percentage of the colors on that map. And in my opinion, Powerups shouldn’t be the solution for this. Skill should.

This post was split into two parts. For anyone who may be confused, you can find the first half here. :smile:

1 Like

Like other have said, I’m impressed with your research. Furthermore, (as was also mentioned), BP is all about reaction time: as soon as a round starts, the best strategy is to make a dash for the power ups.

You then have a big advantage toward the end of a game by using your color teleporters and leaps to save yourself. So map balancing isn’t really an issue, because anyone who is actually good at the game will be prepared to be out of reach to the right color.

It’s all about preparation and reaction time, that’s what makes BP stand apart from other games like BD or skywars. So in conclusion, map balancing isn’t that important :slight_smile:

I appreciate your reply and I can understand what you’re getting at. But let me give you some perspective. I have been a part of the Block Party scene for years. I’ve spent time with some of the best Block Party players of all time and when we all heard about this new Block Party, we were all really excited! It’s been about two weeks since that revelation and here’s what their feedback to me has been.

1. Not a single one of the dozens of people I’ve talked to are happy with the game. Not. One.
  2. To get good at Block Party, you learn the maps and position yourself and react well to have the advantage. Powerups are often banned in almost every single competitive tournament I have been in due to the luckiness Powerups give. You can farm them en mass, the teleport one plays the game for you (at least the feather requires you to aim). That is perhaps their most egregious issue.
  3. The fact that there are only four maps that can be done with 0.5s of reaction time is very disturbing to us. Add onto the fact that none of them are designed to give you a good chance of surviving anyways due to the best spots missing tons of colors.
  4. None of them are playing this version of BP due to skill being so abysmally low. In my opinion, Powerups are not and should never be how you get good at BP. You’re not even playing BP at that point to us. And it is our earnest hope that this changes.
4 Likes

I would love to be able to get good at block party, so I would love different powerup mechanics. However, I think the better solution is for powerups to be able to be toggled individually in custom servers. For those playing on mobile or controller the teleporter (and feather but that’s less of an issue) may be their only chance at survival. The block party you knew seems to have been given the same treatment as trouble in mineville, dumbing it down and making it a bit easier for the extended bedrock edition audience. A lot of the audience for bedrock edition plays on mobile or consoles, leaving us pc players with a slightly different experience to accommodate for that. I think accessibility is important, and I think hive does too. I don’t think they would (or should) remove powerups just to make it more like java when bedrock is a different game with different players. I love these ideas and I would love to play in custom servers without powerups but the main game should probably be left alone. Also I 100% agree with the map changes because those would benefit all platforms. Maybe you could organize a group for people to play with old block party rules in custom servers. I would love for something like that to exist. :smile:

As a kbm player, I’m very happy with BP, so add me to the good list :joy: still, you have my support. Voted :slight_smile:

Bro how do you actually have the time and patience to be analyzing and researching these maps its pretty impressive lol

But please note that like many others are saying, BP is reaction time based so if the maps were really balanced to the point where anyone could make it to the right color in less than a second then I don’t see the skill in the game.

1 Like

I don’t really get this, If powerups didn’t play the game for you, as Zachary excellently put it, it would make the game harder for ALL platforms. Every other game on Hive is also harder for mobile and console players when compared to PC, that doesn’t mean they need to make the game unfun to play.

Hive Java had “Murder in Mineville” which is a LOT more accurate than TIMV, which will likely never be added to Bedrock. (Sorry! Went a bit off track.)

Java did have powerups, but they required a lot more skill to use than Bedrock’s currently.

They’ll most likely stick to other servers like what they were forced to do since April 2021, unfortunately. Since the main game is not fun to grind at all, there isn’t much point in even hosting tournaments in CS’s.

This is a bit aggressively put, that was not intended, but I hope you get what I mean.

1 Like

These are all valid criticisms and I respect them. I don’t have much experience with Hive java so I just look at things from a bedrock perspective. I appreciate you taking your time to reply and I now agree with changing the powerups. At the very least, they should make the teleporter really rare. :+1:

Edit: Why is every reply on this topic an essay?

2 Likes